Large room question

Putting in surround sound. Have bounced from Sony 840 to Kenwood 6070 to Onkyo sr600 etc. ad nauseum. Our den is large (20 x 25) and we've been told on one hand to buy 100+ watt speakers for a room that large, and on the other hand that 80 watt speakers on a better receiver are more than ample. Thoughts? Some say distortion on Kenwood is too high, but that same distortion level is true on several receivers considered to be good. Very few store reps in Dallas seem to have the slightest clue about their merchandise, so they're no help. At this point, I'm about ready to eenie-meenie-miney-mo the whole thing. Help?

TO: ama2r

Me and my brother decided on the Kenwood VR-6070 as the best unit for each penny invested into a THX Select Receiver and has excellent sound quality, especially for DVD Movies. The extra THX Select features make it worth while investment for configuration and setup:

THX Select AV Amplifiers and Receivers
Feature: THX Select power requirements more exactly match the needs of multichannel digital program material.
Benefit: A THX Select Receiver's amplifier section can now be easily built using a single common power supply of reasonable and cost-effective size. The peak levels remain the same as with THX Ultra systems (105 dB).

Feature: Owing to current economies of DSP design, all THX Select products feature: Re-Equalization, Timbre Matching, Adaptive Decorrelation, Bass Management, Bass Peak Level Manager, and Loudspeaker Position Time Synchronization
Benefit: THX Select electronics continue to be the most flexible and refined, and the "THX Mode" has the same utility.

Please see the following threads as well by selecting at the top DISCUSSIONS HOME-AUDIO RECEIVERS which will take you to discussions in regards to the Kenwood VR-6070 model.

sincerely yours...Michael

Anonymous
There is a huge thread on the 6070 as Michael mentioned.

One thing to consider (besides cost, features, input/output ports, etc.) is what speakers you are driving. Some receivers can drive the lower impedence better (high current amplifiers).

I've looked at Panasonic, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Kenwood, Yamaha, etc...There are a lot of options in the mid-price range of $400-$500, and even less.

I have 6 Ohm speakers. Many receivers say to connect only 8 - 16 Ohm speakers, a few say 6 - 16 Ohm. So that narrowed the selection for me. I wouldn't feel comfortable thinking that I would/could be over-driving my receiver (some receivers have a shut down to prevent damage). Of coarse, there are more expensive receivers that can drive 2 and 4 Ohm speakers.

If you have a chance to listen to the receivers, that's the best--unfortunately that is usually difficult to do. Some claim HK, Yamaha, Onkyo to be more musical than movie (Kenwood...). Of which I will be splitting time between movie and music.

FYI, I bought the Onkyo SR600 because I felt it had the best balance of features, cost, etc. for me.

Thanks for the input, guys. We ended up getting the Onkyo HTS 650, and have been really pleased. The 150watt sub is a definite plus! Haven't switched the cable wire out yet, but that's on the plate to do this weekend. All the assistance on this thread is a real lifesaver, you know it? Not everyone is 100% right about everything, but the balance of the advice from people who have actually bought these audio items is wonderful!! Especially when you piece all the information together. Thanks again. Ama2r:)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us