Need Good Advice on Home Theater System ASAP

Alyssa
I think this forum is a great site for people to discuss their feelings, experiences, etc. regarding home theater entertainment, and I certainly find everything discussed informative and I want to thank everyone who does a great job posting.

Now to my dilemma:

I am incredibly confused about what to buy so I figured I'd seek advice from the forum. I am building a new house that I am scheduled to move into within a week. The size of my family room is approximately 20' x 20'. I just bought an Hitachi 51" Rear Projection HDTV, model #51SWX20B and am having DirectTV installed also. I am looking for a home theater system (probably a home theater in a box) to compliment these new components and was looking for a recommendation. I am by no means an expert when it comes to audio/video, however I want to make sure I do this right. I am looking to spend no more than $1000 and that includes a progressive scan DVD, which I assume will be part of the home theater system. I don't really listen to much music but I watch a lot of movies and even more sporting events. My goal is to be able to hear the best surround sound for my price range. I want to hear the buzz of a helicopter in my ear, or the roar of a dinosaur that makes me think it's real, but I have no clue what to buy! I want to make sure that the home theater system has the best possible system requirements and inputs/outputs to utilize my new equipment.

I also plan on buying the best hook-up cables, wires, etc. and having the system professionally installed so it is done right. Aside from the TV, satellite, DVD, home theater, VCR, I don't plan on adding any other components (that I can think of), unless I maybe get a TIVO (if that even matters). Thus, I want a system that will be good now and in the future.

I would be interested in hearing some expert recommendations of some home theater packages that would be best for me knowing what I have stated above. I would also like to hear some reasons why you recommend what you do, if you have the time.

I don't know how often I'll check this site but if you could email me your recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it so I will definitely get to see them. My email is: cmcal@aol.com

I would like to get this system this weekend if possible. I think I touched on everything and I would like to thank all in advance for your help and comments.

Alyssa

TO: Alyssa

Me and my brother decided on the Kenwood VR-6070 as the best unit for each penny invested into a THX Select Receiver and has excellent sound quality, especially for DVD Movies. The extra THX Select features make it worth while investment for configuration and setup:

look at this product link;
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/redirectFeature.jsp?goToUrl=product.jsp%3FproductId%3D2452

THX Select AV Amplifiers and Receivers
Feature: THX Select power requirements more exactly match the needs of multichannel digital program material.
Benefit: A THX Select Receiver's amplifier section can now be easily built using a single common power supply of reasonable and cost-effective size. The peak levels remain the same as with THX Ultra systems (105 dB).

Feature: Owing to current economies of DSP design, all THX Select products feature: Re-Equalization, Timbre Matching, Adaptive Decorrelation, Bass Management, Bass Peak Level Manager, and Loudspeaker Position Time Synchronization
Benefit: THX Select electronics continue to be the most flexible and refined, and the "THX Mode" has the same utility.

Please see the following threads as well by selecting at the top DISCUSSIONS HOME-AUDIO RECEIVERS which will take you to discussions in regards to the Kenwood VR-6070 model.

We are using JBL SCS-150 speaker system...link to this product...
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=SCS150SI&SerId=SCS&sCatId=

Please evaluate both products.

sincerely yours...Michael

po
Check out www.onkyousa.com and look at their package home theaters. There are a number of them under $1000 that may be of interest to you. I have the Onkyo HT-S650 and personally think it sounds great.

The HT-S655 is just like the S650 but with the addition of a 5 disc progressive scan DVD player which would possibly be a candidate for the complete package you're looking for.

po
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us