Magnetically Shielded Speaker -- How Close?

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 35
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question: does anyone know if a relatively large (5 driver/3 way) center channel that is "magnetically Shielded" will do any long term damage to a CRT if it is sitting literally right on top of it?

The speaker I refer to is an Energy C-C3 Centre: http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=29

Thanks!

Username: Yarlie

Post Number: 4
No, If it's shielded it shouldn't do any harm.
Any effect it has on the tv will be immediately apparent. Set the tv to a blue screen (like a tv setup menu) and move the speaker around the tv.
If it has any effect you will see rainbow like colors creeping onto the edge of the screen.

Iggy12
Unregistered guest
Is there any way to tell from looking at a speaker if is is magnetically shielded?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 305
Not from the outside. It would be unusual for a center channel speaker not to be shielded (however, in life few things are guaranteed). However, if you place it next to the tv and it distorts the image, it is not shielded. You can use Charlie's suggestion or just put on any material. The distortion will be obvious. Are you telling us that you can't determine that info from the speaker web site? Bummer.

Iggy12
Unregistered guest
Thanks Dale.

I am going to try that. The speakers are made by Abstract Acoustics and I have searched the web but can't find a website. Generally speaking is there a safe distance the speakers can be placed at? Or should I just see how far away from the TV the speakers are when there is no noticeable distortion in the TV image?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 325
Once you get beyond the point of visible affect/distortion, you should be ok. Suggest you use a repeatable video source (or blue screen as Charlie mentions) so you can carefully compare before and after placements.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us