Surround Sound Basic Question

Surround Sound Man
Unregistered guest
1-I would like to upgrasde to Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound. I have a surround sound receiver Pioneer VSX 509s. It has a 5:1 program selection. I have all the speakers and sub woofer for this. Do I need to buy a Dolby decoder to connect and connect my DVD/CD player the deocder and then connect it to the receiver?

2-If I play non 5:1 encoded dvd's and cd's, will I get a "mock" 5:1 sound or will it just give me a pro logic 1 sound?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2644
1. All you need is a DVD/CD player that can play digital surround and you can connect it directly to your receiver. You do not need an outboard decoder.

2. It will give a matrixed surround or some other surround that your Pioneer is capable of reproducing.

Username: Newatthis2

Post Number: 2
1. It sounds like you are ready to go, except for a digital audio cable to carry the digital audio from the DVD/CD player to the receiver, where it will then be decoded and sent to the proper speakers.

mickey.d
Unregistered guest
OK...maybe basic question, but I don't have the answer. In hooking up my DVD player to my receiver. Which will give me optimal audio quality?
1) Digital Coaxial connection ...OR
2)5.1CH inputs,,,???

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 124
Good question and unfortunatetly, the answer depends on the equipment. If your DVD player has better DACs than the digital processors in your receiver use 2. If not, use 1. You may just have to try it to determine which sounds best.

Username: Em69

Post Number: 2
Another dumb question on the same subject...but I'm new to the AV World.

I connected the red, white and yellow cables from my DVD player to my receiver, but I'm not getting surround sound. I'm only getting sound from the front 3 speakers.

Username: Em69

Post Number: 4
I guess it is the digital connection I'm missing eh?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us