Combine Old & New: A new HTIB or High-end Receiver+Old Speakers?

Username: Petawa

Post Number: 3
We've recently moved. In the process, I've found a bunch of old speakers that were hidden around the house (15 years plus). In the new house, we have a 20'*16' basement room with the main TV, and a small kitchen nook with a 27" TV & 1 couch. What would give me the best value for my money for a good system in the basement?

Basically, I'm looking at a budget that could maybe stretch to $600 total. Would that be best spent getting Bose's HTIB (which Cnet has great reviews on), or getting a higher end receiver and using current speakers, and saving a little money?

Here are the speakers I own:
2x Paradigm Atoms (50W avg)
2x Paradigm Titans (60W avg)
2x Technics SB-AFC31 (260W Music, Wall Mount)
1x Technics SB-C938 (220W Music, 110W DIN Center)
1x Technics SB-W31 (260W Music Sub -> has L&R wire inputs, then L&R wire outputs)
2x Mirage M-190i
2x DCM TimeFrame TF500 (Big ~4' music speakers)
2x Realistic Mach Two 40-4032 (160W, big big speakers)

Right now I have the DCMs hooked up as front, Technics Center & Mirage rear in the basement. The Paradigms are hooked up in the nook, 2 Atoms in the bottom shelf of the TV cabinet and 2 Titans one on either side of the couch.

I'm thinking that its best to start fresh with a whole new system. A salesperson at the local audio store said anything over 5 years old lacked the audio definition for Dolby Digital 5.1. My dad says that these speakers are better than anything they make nowadays, but he says that about everything. So, its up the expert opinion of the forums. What will give me the best system for XBOX & DVDs? -New speakers & receiver, or will the difference be miniscule enough that I'd be just as happy with old speakers & just a Dolby-ready reciever?

Thanks for everything,
Peter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us