Help a newbie set up 5.1 to a DVD - prob easy answer please take a look

Unregistered guest
First of all let me point out that i am a complete novice so apologies if you've already answered this question a hundred times before!

I've just inherited a very cheap 5.1 home theatre system (NEUTAC S8513110) and i need to wire it up to my DVD (TECHNIKA dvd203), it seems to work like this:

The 5 speakers & subwoofer connect by 3.5mm jack to a control box (that's the easy bit) - the control box then has 3 inputs (front, surround, CE/SW) each is 3.5mm jack size - I have 3 cables supplied each 3.5mm to 2 x RCA - the diagram in the manual shows all 3 cables connected to the 3 inputs on the control box with the other end of the 3 cables (6 x RCA) connected to the DVD player! - my problem is that the DVD player manual suggests that 5.1 systems should be connected to a single coaxial digital signal output................
...My question is how does 6 x RCA go into 1 X coaxial??

Thanks for your help in advance.

TPE
Unregistered guest
IT will be easier if you understand the functions of each, you need to seperate funtions in to (2) catagories. First is video - in order of best to worst is the following - Component, S-Video, and Composite (3 most common). Component is the Red,Green, and blue video wires, S-Video the the round plug with pins, and composite is the yellow single RCA jack. Sounds like you are discribing the Composite. Now sound (same order and most common) - Toslink, Coaxial, and analog. Toslink is fiber, coaxial looks like a single RCA port, analog is your red and white RCA's. Try to use the coaxial (a standard RCA cord will work) this will carry a true surround sound, as will the fiber. If you hook up analog (red and white) your reciever will have to 'fake' the surround sound- using DDPLII or DDPLIIx, etc. Most cheap DVD players dont have the digital RCA outputs for each speaker...but that sounds like that is what the 6 RCA's are for...not needed, just use the coaxial digital output.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for your answer - ok lets see if i understand this:
1st of all let me tell you what's on the back of my DVD player; 2 main audio outputs (left & right), 1 component, 1 composite & 1 S-video output, 1 coaxial digital signal output and of course a scart which is linked to the TV.

So, i should only use the coaxial digital to connect to the receiver - which input on the receiver do i hook it to? presumably all three? do i need an adapter then or a cable that has 3 x 3.5mm to 1 RCA (or coaxial)?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

TPE
Unregistered guest
Your receiver should have a dig coaxial port for the DVD input, just run one RCA from DVD to Receiver. The full surround is carried in this one cable. IF you use the receiver as a switcher then you would take (3) RCA's from component to component between the equipment, this will carry your video.

Unregistered guest
Thanks again for your reply - unfortuneately my reciever doesn't have a digital coaxial port!?

Am i screwed then?

Anonymous

Hey if you need some info check out my blog and near the bottom theres a surround sound step by step info thing. Hopefully this helps
ssound12.blogspot.com

TPE
Unregistered guest
does your receiver have any audio inputs other than analog (2 RCA ports)

Unregistered guest
My receiver has 3 audio inputs all analogue.

TPE
Unregistered guest
Ya, sounds like your only option is to hook up the analog (red and white) and use DPIIx to 'reporduce' the surround sound.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2604
Does it have a digital optical input?

Unregistered guest
Hi I have Dapic hometheatre http://www.dapichongkong.com/hometer1.htm model D-600R
& SANSUI 1221 DVD player .
I Found MP3 CD's VCD plays well .
Problem is that WHen i RUn DVD it not run well in PROLOGIC mode {DTS or DLOBY} it works fine only in Normal mode that is 2 spkr only.

when i tried to run it in prologic mode , i can hear Music,drums , tribbles very well but not the dilogues.

I belive cable connections are fine as it is as per diagrame.

please sugest thanks
ruturajpradhan@indiatimes.com

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 253
wakey, basically you need a dvd player with built in dd decoding or one that has 5.1 output through rca's . other wise you will only get pl 2. rutuaj, your system seems to be ac-3 dts which is two channel only. Check users manual to see if any other settings must be made to get more than two channel reproduction.

Unregistered guest
I have a new house with a built-in surround system with 6 speakers in the ceiling. Only one cable comes out of the wall for all the speakers. How do I hook this up? Does it go to the TV or to the receiver?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us