Please give me some advice

Username: Findingemo

Post Number: 3
I'm a home theater noob, so I really could use all the advice you can offer. In a couple months I'm moving into a new apartment, and am going to start building myself a decent home theater system. Since I'm kind of on a budget I'm going to be buying it in stages, starting with a receiver and a pair of front speakers. Next I'll be adding a sub, then I'll go from there. My budget right now is about $500, so probably about $300 for the receiver and $200 for the speakers. Please give me suggestions as to some good options. It is going to be a fairly small single bedroom apartment so I won't need a HUGE system, but this setup will go in the main room so I want it powerfull enough to function as the main system. Thank in advance to any replies.

MiamiJ
Unregistered guest
Hey, take a look at the onkyo sks-ht520 set. I was also looking for stand alone speakers and I tested this set along with the JBL northridge E60s. I was impressed with both, but I opted for the onkyo's in the end.

Post Number: 4
I actually did look at both of those sets, but I decided I'd rather spend the $200 on one set of nicer front speakers and then ad later rather than get a whole surround set now. Thanks though :-)

Post Number: 5
What are everyones thoughts on the Klipsch Synergy B-2 and B-3 sets?

Post Number: 6
I think I may have decided on what speakers to get. Right now I'm leaning towards a pair of Paradigm Atom's. Now if anyone could be so kind as to suggest some receivers in the $300 price range that would work well with these I would appreciate it. Thanks

eri316
Unregistered guest
check out the sony ht-ddw660. i got it for $169 at circuit city and it sounds great. read a lot of reviews on it too, great sound for a low price.

TPE
Unregistered guest
Just watch for the power ratings. Unfortunatley nobody mandates a set of standards for manufacturers. One system can advertise 110W of power, and another at 80W of power.....the 80W might be more powerfull. Check this distortion rate at peak watts...remember that to double the loudness you need to increase the wattage by almost 4 times! So 20-30 watts wont mke that much difference. JBL is probably one of the most advanced, cost effecient speakers on the market.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us