6.1 placement?

Username: Gordonjones

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 1
i have a fairly small room (10x12) currently set up for 5.1. the couch is against the back wall (opposite the tv) with no room to push fwd. the rear surround speakers are wall-mounted on either end of the couch slightly above ear level (when seated).

i'm interested in adding another speaker in the back for 6.1, but figure the only way to do so is to place it angled down at the couch from the top of the back wall, or, get a ceiling speaker and place directly over the couch.

would this config do justice to 6.1? is 6.1 worth the effort? suggestions/advice? btw, my speakers are atlantic technology's 170 system.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 84
Hmmm;

I think either scenerio would be noticable. Surrounds should be transparent, that is, provide the sound in a non-localized way.

Personally, I think a well set up 5.1 system is really quite good and for the most part the 6th channel adds little.

But what the heck, perhaps try rigging something temporary (like put a ladder behind the couch and hook the speaker up pointing down at you are see how it sounds). That way you can get a feel for how it might sound and be better able to decide if that is something that you want to do.

Username: Whoosh

Post Number: 1
Try pointing the center back towards the ceiling. The sound would have to travel farther before reaching your ears, and may make it more diffuse
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us