Can I use 5.1computer speakers for home theatre speakers?

Username: Scotty_two

Post Number: 1
I am thinking about buying a Logitech Z-5300 speaker system which doesn't have a built in decoder and I was wondering the cheapest way to turn these computer speakers into my home theatre speakers and be able to get dolby surround. I want to be able to hook up a DVD player too it. Would I need a sound card, because I have a computer close to my TV. Also I was wondering if this even a good idea. I just want to use these speakers because they're THX certified, but if you know of a better surround sound solution advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

arrow224
Unregistered guest
Yes you can, as long as you have a compatible 5.1 surround sound sound card in your computer. Most come with onboard, which is fine for most people. However, you will get better sound out of an Audigy1 or 2.

You would also need to have a DVD-ROM or DVD burner to play the DVD's.

Sure it may not sound as good as a true home theatre, but it still good, unless you go for somehting like the Z-5500's or the Z-680's.

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

NJ USA

Post Number: 55
I did it for nearly a year using Z680s... they were much better than the crap surrounds I had and the onboard processing via optical cable link was better than my amp at the time. They are VERY good in even a moderately larger room - mine is 14 - 20 and it was booming. About the only thing I had an issue with was speaker delays for perfect delivery timing to the sweet spot, but if you aren't a perfectionist they work VERY well.

John Billybooster Davis
Unregistered guest
I have seen a neat little 5.1 surround sound gadget for notebooks and Macs from Miglia. They call it Harmony Express and offers 5.1 from a USB port. It's got a mic-in too. I use it to attach to my notebook or minimac(i bought two) then into the 5.1 speeakers. V cool. J&R sell them, so do Mall.

Anonymous

So my klipsch promedia thx 5.1 with my audigy 2 soundcard, and dvd burner would work good for home theatre, so basically i can hook my tower up to a bigscreen and have good surround

Unregistered guest
ihave the logitech X-530 5.1 surround speakers and im trying to connect them tomy tv for surround sound

Anonymous

if anyone knows how to hook up the x530 logitech speakers to a basic tv please email me a solution at pickle_jars@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Kevbo887

Post Number: 36
I would like to know as well.

I have a USB sound card, but id rather not have to have my laptop near the tv and hooked up to it everytime I watch the tube. Any way to just alone have the surround sound hooked up to the tv?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us