Crossover??

lazarus2297
Unregistered guest
I have what may be a very basic question...what is crossover and how does adjusting it on my Onkyo reciever affect the sound?

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 29
there are two types of crossovers; high pass and low pass. A crossover simply filters out a certain frequency range of the signal which passes through it. A high pass crossover filters all of the low and mid ranged frequency of the signal, allowing only the higher end of the signal to pass. A low pass crossover allows only the low end of the frequency to pass. These are usefull for blocking unnecesarry signal to speakers, such as treble and midrange to subwoofers or bass to tweeters. Most likely your crossover is a low pass. You want to adjust this setting in order to make your subwoofers highest frequency response match your other speakers lowest. eg. if your subwoofers maximum frequency response was 120Hz then you want to set your speakers crossover to about 100-120Hz. Just try to make sure there are no gaps or overlaps in the frequency response. This just helps ensure the cleanest and most accurate sound from your system.

Username: Lazarus2297

Post Number: 1
thanks for the response so if my sub's range is 30 Hz-150 Hz what should my crossover be here is a link to the specs of my system (onkyo HTS-770)
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S770&p=s&class=Systems
Thanks again and in advance for you help!!

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 32
It depends on the lowest frequency that your satellites can reproduce. Normally, 100Hz or below is recommended. Most bass management low/hi pass filters in Dolby Digital and DTS systems have the cutoff at 80Hz. Above 100Hz, the subwoofer would sound more boomy and the sound from it would be more directional, which is undesirable.

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 33
I just checked your system's specs from the link you have above. I think anything between 70-100Hz, whichever gives your ears the most natural sound, will be good for your system.

Username: Lazarus2297

Post Number: 5
thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 30
yeah i have the same system, and i keep my setting at 100Hz, that sounds best to me

Unregistered guest
Hi audio monstiz:

If I don't get my two rear "Onkyo" surround speakers to
kick in with an older Onkyo HTR-500 soon, I'm going
to get my head kicked-in instead.

I thought is was all hooked up right. I can't get the
center speaker to work either. OK, who's gonna
save the day?

Thankin' all of you in advance, I just need one of ya
who knows more than me.

Sincerely, Kickin' Soonly

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 209
I have placed my centre channel in active mode via an electronic X-over unit with three screen JBL control 5 at the front and the active X-over is must dialogue sound effects and music all play louder with far less distortion than before passive X-over units tend to build up to much distortion and also there a bit Topy sounding too.

What I like to do now is add some more active X-over units for the left and right and the side surrounds centre back and then height surround and with careful setting-up this should present a whole new approach in home cinema as very few of you would take this option.

Yes I know it's not cheep but if you look around you can find PA stores sealing active X-over units cheaply and a lot of duel stereo amplifiers are also going to be needed EQ's as well and maybe some compressor limiters too top this all off!

Now then, the B-chain rules ok.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us