Center channel too high and closed in

Username: Bwhitmanga

Post Number: 1
I just setup my home theater. I have Polks for fronts, a Mirage OM6 center, Boston accountics dipole, and Mirage Omnisats in the back. I think the center is too high and closed in (it's bi polar). Shoudl I angle it down? I have to jack the volume all the way up on the center and it's still too quiet. I am driving this all with a Denon 3805. See pic: http://home.comcast.net/~brian.whitman/home.html

Richard Andy
Unregistered guest
Brian, Nice TV!! Yeah, check the wires to the centre carefully first, then angle the speaker down slightly to fire at ear level. Can you put it on the shelf below the one its currently on and angle it, or is it too low? Also, and ignore this if its not personal preference.. move the L & R spearkers towards the middle of the shelf they are on and angle slightly in towards the 'sweet-spot'.. experiment a little with their placement.

Post Number: 2
Thanks, I was actually lucky enough to WIN that TV on the radio (caller #9). I've built my whole room around it!

I moved the center to the shelf below and angled it down and it sounds much better. That's how I originally planned to have it (the bookshelf was built for the center) but then I realized I would kill the sound out of the Mirage b/c it has rear firing speakers as well. I was thinking that by putting it above it would let the rear facing speakers "get out". Maybe I should get a center channel with front facing only speakers?

On the front channels, I moved them to the center and toed them in, sounds SO much better. However, I may get divorced over it. The wife HATES it that way, says it looks totally retarted like I was moving them to get something and left them "not put away". She wants the speakers stuffed back into the bookshelf as far back as possible and as close to the TV as possible. Keeps saying "that's the whole point of BOOKSHELF speakers, so you can stuff them in there like books".

Sounds like crap this way. Why can't they understand that it's the way it SOUNDS, not the way it LOOKS?! women...

Richard Andy
Unregistered guest
I had the same prob' with my missus. "Why does that have to be there, it looks aweful, hide those wires, move this, move that.." I didn't move anything though, instead, I got a 24" TV into the spare room and let her pick the colours for the paint on the wall!! She's happy now she has her 'own' room.. thing is though.. I'm not sure if I like the cushions she's put on the sofa!!

Post Number: 3
Well, as marriages go, it's all about the compromise. I actually realized that the distance from the listener to the center channel was about 15 feet, but the frant channels were only 8 feet apart. I moved the fronts to the outer edges of the bookshelves, they are now about 12 feet apart and the whole system sounds fantastic.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us