HDMI Receivers?

Username: Turkish621

Post Number: 4
Ok,so I am looking at getting a receiver but would really like to use the HDMI port on my Sony Wega tv. Is there anything out there now that is worth getting? If not, when will there be some out?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 633
Panasonic SA-XR70 1 in/1 out. MSRP$399

This can found at $350 at One Call

Onkyo TX-NR1000 2 in/1 out. MSRP$4000

This receiver may also be available in Onkyo's Integra division. Though there is rarely a reason to pay more for a similar Integra product.

Denon 5805 3 in/1 out. MSRP$6000

Denon is also releasing a couple of new DVD players with HDMI. The more expensive one (the 5910--will have Silicon Optix new Realta chip--supposed to be the cheaper cousin to the 60K Terranex chip and the reason why this dvd player will be expensive and have state of the art video performance when released some time in the middle of the year.

Samsung AV-R3000 2 in/1 out. MSRP$4,999

The Samsung should be released by June and will be 7 x 250 watts, have 4 HDMI's, 2 DVI's, HDCD/WMA decode, Faroudja DCDi. For Samsung's first receiver it reads very impressive and could well be the receiver that many in the industry watch, as Samsung makes a really big move into high end audio/video.

I would think that Pioneer Elite will be adding one or two models with HDMI later this year as will Yamaha. It may take 2 years or so until the technology works it way down manufacturers product line.

Username: Turkish621

Post Number: 6
Thank you for the info. So it will be a few more years before they become affordable. What kind of performance increase with this bring over component cable for video and quality speaker cables?

Anonymous

GOOD INFO, I see the Panasonic specs

FYI the other day I asked the saleman in THE AUDIO/RECEIVER AREA at Circuit City for either receivers with HDMI switches or actual A/B HDMI switches, or perhaps at least DVI switches - he acted like I was a nutjob for even asking. He couldn't understand even the need for such switches, and I pointed over to some DVD players 10 feet away with HDMI outputs and I stated of course many HDTV's would have HDMI switches, and people would need 2 switches etc and in either case HD-DVD is coming soon and would need such extra switching etc. Amazingly he still seemed perplexed but eventually about 3 minutes later he said Circuit City had none and he didn't know if they would ever have either, and seemed unwilling or uninterested to ask anyone else in the store, and basically made it clear he didn't care because "signals would be degraded"

WHERE DO THEY GET THESE PEOPLE? I was 100% polite the entire time, but one has to wonder

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 634
I think Gefen is selling a 2 and 4 HDMI device for increasing the amount of available HDMI ports.

Depending on the excellence of the HDMI implementation, the video aspects from a dvd player with HDMI to an HDTV monitor with HDMI should be better than an analogue component connection and not suffer from any RF, magnetic, or other degradation.

HDMI transmits all ATSC HDTV standards and supports 8-channel digital audio, with bandwidth to spare to accommodate future enhancements and requirements.

To list some of the advantages of HDMI over existing analog interfaces such as composite, S-Video and component video are that quality HDMI transfers uncompressed digital audio and video for the highest, crispest image quality. All Digital HDMI ensures an all-digital rendering of video without the losses associated with analog interfaces and their unnecessary digital-to-analog conversions. HDMI provides the quality and functionality of a digital interface while also supporting uncompressed video formats in a simple, cost-effective manner. Audio HDMI supports multiple audio formats, from standard stereo to multi-channel surround-sound. Ease-of-use HDMI combines video and multi-channel audio into a single cable, eliminating the cost, complexity, and confusion of multiple cables currently used in A/V systems. HDMI supports communication between the video source (such as a DVD player) and the DTV, enabling new functionality.

Some current HDMI implementations don't employ the full blown multi-channel audio capability. I currently use a Pioneer Elite 59AVi with firewire and HDMI. I connect the HDMI directly to the Pioneer Elite plasma and also connect the dvd player to the Pioneer Elite 49Ti receiver via the firewire link, for the best digital audio transmission.

There are currently no loudspeakers with HDMI and until there are preamps and receivers with digital HDMI speaker outputs it will be pointless. NHT, Meridian and a few other speaker manufacturers have DSP digital speaker systems, but they hook-up with standard connections to your preamp/receiver. As sound waves are analogue, I doubt there is any significant advantage to delivering a digital audio signal to a loudspeaker, unless the speaker has a much better D/A than anything else in your system. Quality digital loudspeaker systems are currently in their larval states, but they can present a compelling sound through the use of their DSP's and advanced EQ capability that is tailored to every room's acoustic properties.

Username: Lizb

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Sony Wega and am learning about connection options but while researching HDMI and component connections came across this:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18338&forum=25

It raises questions about what exactly Sony's HDMI connection will give you, and it doesn't seem to be much over a component connection.

Liz

No_CC_for_Me
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, I experienced very similar behavior at Circuit City in Hickory, NC shopping during Christmas 2004. In fact, I'm positive I asked my wife, "Where do they get these people?"

At any rate, we left without spending a dime and I doubt I will ever have a need to return.

agento
Unregistered guest
This Spring JVC is offering some reasonable receivers with both HDMI and USB, so you can connect to your PC and play your music. I am not familar with JVC's receivers, so you will want to research that further, however they seem to be one of the few that are on cutting edge and affordable. Here is the link about the press release:

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=437&pageID=1

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 108
Anonymous, Chill Out!! Remember: you don't have to be an audiophile or videophile to work for Circuit City or any other chain av store. I'm glad you educated your salesperson. These stores seem more interested in moving volume than in providing an educational buying experience. From time to time however, you will run into a knowledgeable salesperson and when you do it is like manna from heaven. Just don't expect it. Best advice: shop these stores when you pretty much know what you want or just to see certain equipment in operation and not to secure serious buying advice. That way, you won't be inclined to freak out when the salesperson gives you that "foreign language look" after you have asked him/her a question.

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Post Number: 12
I agree with dale wiley. I use the chains (circuit city and best buy) when i know what i want and for good deals. but still from time to time have come across a knowledgeable salesperson who treated me well. the gentleman who sold me my 50 in sony lcd remembers me each time i go in there and is very pleasant. but for advice and especially better speakers and components i go to local audio/video venders (statement audio here in knoxville, tn).

Username: Absolute

Theres a reason why I call it Circuit Shitty...

Username: Chitown

Post Number: 3
Folks do not waste your time talking to the salespeople at Circuit city or Best buy for anything more technical than a sale price. If you want good info call Crutchfield (Crutchfield.com) or go to a specialized store. In Chicago area we have Audio consultants (3 stores) and ABT appliance tends to be very knowledgeable but also very arrogant.

Username: Anino1

Pioneer has no plans to add HDMI to any of their receivers, anytime in the future. I asked them directly and this is how they responded:

"Unfortunately, there are no future plans to implement HDMI into any of our
recievers.

Thank you"

Username: Kja

Post Number: 3
Toshiba has a more reasonable "all-in-one" HDMI alternative - MSRP $399.00

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hometheater/product.asp?model=sd-c67ht

Bronze Member
Username: Tdawg

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 16
The new Denon 3806 will have HDMI switching. It should be a great product.

Anonymous

Can anyone explain what all is neccessary in a receiver as far as HDMI? I have a Sony 42" Grand Wega and it has an HDMI input. I also have a HDMI output on my DVD player. I am looking to buy a receiver and am wondering how many HDMI inputs/outputs I should get? Also has anyone heard if the HD Tivo will have an HDMI cable?

Post Number: 6
I don't know about Tivo, bt the ne Playstation 2 will. Get as many HDMI ins as you can afford - 1-2 seems to be about the norm currently. The Toshiba that I mentioned above was recalled due to a fire hazard (mine smoked nicely). Check the new 110w JVC - 2 HDMI in 1/ out. I replaced my smoking Toshiba with one and love it. You can get one for under $400 is you shop around online. There's also a 150w model.

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027536&pathId=5&page=1

Anonymous

Does the 402 model have 2 hdmi inputs?

Post Number: 8
post 6 - should have been "Playstation 3" will have HDMI out.

post 7 - yes, both the 401 and 402 have 2 HDMI in and one out. I still love mine! No problems whatsoever.

Muggle1
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me in laymans terms the benefit of HDMI ? I have a TV with HDMI but have yet to buy speakers or a receiver. Panasonic are trying to sell me a XR55 but this does not have HDMI. Any advice appreciated

Username: Neilk2350

New york, NY United States

Post Number: 9
be very carefull i have the yamaha 2600 which has hdmi switching but my stb doesn't work with it. from what i read hdmi is not all it's cracked up to be and suffers from severe reliability issues

Bronze Member
Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 17
HDMI provides many benefits that the other connections can't. It combines high-def video and high-def audio on the same cable making less connections and clutter. It can also pass your higher resolution video like 1080i and 1080p; component video connections don't have the bandwidth.

As far as having a receiver with HDMI switching, the only advantage is convenience. It will allow you to switch sources via the receiver without having to change the source on the TV. You don't need one to get HD signals to your TV. Just connect the HDMI cable from your DVD player directly to your TV and then send a digital audio signal from the DVD player to the receiver. You have to push a few more buttons to get the channels synced but you'll save yourself some $ from buying a new HMDI-switching receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Irisfailsafe

BogotaColombia

Post Number: 19
Yamaha RX V 1600/2600. They offer twi HDMI inputs and 1 output.
Plus every other conection (component, coaxial, optical in/out)
Even Firewire for XM Radio...

Username: Woot

Im not sure if this can be true but I found a sony htib (htddw900) that has 3 hdmi spots for 450$ at futureshop (maybe bestbuy). http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Display ProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=HTDDW900&CategoryName=hav_HomeTheater_HTSeri es&DCMP=CNET_DF&HQS=HTDDW900

Can anyone varify if this is legit HD or not.
Its only 450 CDN$ so I was really surprised

Username: Rabbi333

ddggdshsf
I just bought the ddw900 it has 2 in 1 out.. and I got it at Costco for $250. Havent set it up yet.. going out to by a hdmi dvd player this weekend to hook up to my new 61 in samsung dlp TV.. anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable price dvd player with hdmi

Username: Grim001

I have a few questions for the guys that have bought the JVC, Sony, and other gear. I have been looking around and I have found a few models with HDMI inputs/outputs but I am finding out that they are just pass through units, which means they pass the video AND audio signal to the TV, which makes it worthless to me (audio that is)! Those who have bought some of them already, is that your experience? I don't see why I would buy one that sends the audio to the TV, wouldn't you want the sound to come out the stereo? I have read the manual on the Sony 900 it pass the audio through, can't find the manual on the JVC 402 model, any others. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1103
The better receiver's don't just pass the audio and video they can actually "upgrade" to digital signal as well. So that you can pass through the video signal from your non-digital source like the VCR to your TV as well. But you are right the audio pass through is uselsess. However you have to remember that HDMI is mostly for convinience for people who want use Hi-def TV and may or may not care about sound. So it's one cable does it all kind of deal.

Also remember that HDMI is really more about copy protection of the digital signal for the sake of the media content owners than real outstanding benefits to the consumer.

Username: Jmlcsl

I want to set up a home theater using a HDMI cable to the receiver. I have looked at the Panasonic SAXR57K for about $300.00. I have found a 30 foot HDMI to HDMI cable for $138.00. Does anyone know if this receiver will do the trick? Also, does the $138.00 price seem OK?

Username: Mcbane

Post Number: 8
I have A denon Avr 2807...i also have pioneer plasma, and LG set top box - both have hdmi connections. My dvd player is connected through component video and optical to the the Reciever. Is it worth getting a hdmi dvd player? The reciever has 2 hdmi inputs and one output. Will everything connect?

Username: Bastard11

I'm a little bit confused about something here and I was hoping someone here could clear it up for me. Much has been made about HDMI putting video and audio together and thus eliminating clutter.. but if you plan on having a multiple speaker audio system you are likely going to have a nice digital receiver (do any TVs even support 4.1 of > natively anyways?) in this case you are just going to have to split the connection again.
So sure.. if you are the using the speakers built into your TV it reduces clutter but to any home theatre enthusiast or audiophile it really isn't helping any.

I'm also curious about how that splitting takes place.. are there TVs with HDMI in and out so you can patch the video into your monitor and then move on down the line to the digital receiver?

Please don't tell me everyone is using S/PDIF in conjuction with HDMI for surround sound solutions.. that will make me laugh and cry at the same time.

Thanks for your help!

Username: Grim001

Post Number: 2
From my understanding they do a video through put. Let me give an example. Say you have a DVD, reciever, and TV. Well the HDMI cable will go from the DVD into the reciever. The reciever would seperate the audio and video, process the audio and through put the video to a video out source, such as the TV. Now there are options to have both audio and video to go out, but that is not common sense, you want the reciever to process the audio not the TV. That is one thing yo uhave to look at when you buy a reciever. Some of the low end units don't do this. They send both signals out of the reciver to the TV, again not common sense.

Username: Phi_do410

Ho Chi Minh, Saigon Vietnam

Dear bros, I've just purchased a Pioneer Receiver (model VSX-AX2AV-G): 250Wx7, THX, HDMI, Ipod connections supported... now I wanna purchased a Speaker set and possibly a DVD player (I do have a DVD but without HDMI connection), so can anybody advise me what is a good choice for the speaker system that matches my Receiver and the same for a DVD player. Thanks advance for your any precious advice.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11032
What is available in your area?

You need to go to the stores and listen to various speakers available, as speaker choices are dependent upon your tastes.

Berny,

Thanks for your advice. One thing I forget to tell, that I do travel to other regional countries like Singapore and Malaysia, almost evry month. And I believe that all are available their in Singapore and KL and the costa are almost the same as in the States (some items are slightly more expensive but depending on where they are made..).

My problem is that I dont have much time when I travel in order to check/ survey around all stores and also my knowledge on these stuff are very limited.

I mean a system that match well with my receiver is ok for me...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11055
Well, there's Klipsch, Monitor Audio, KEF, PSB, B&W. Take your pick:-)

Post Number: 5
Thanks. But what is the power range like? My receiver reads "250Wx7, 6 Ohm..."? Do you have any specific models to reconmend? I just dont wanna be convinces by the salesman who usually only wants to sell...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11056
Do not worry about the power range at this point.

The speaker lines I recommended will be able to handle the Pioneer's output regardless of model number. It is difficult to recommend a specific model number as we do not have a budget and I have no idea what the prices are in that part of Asia.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Berny. what about impedance? Sombody has recommended me the Canadian (but assembled in China) Energy and Athena Speakers. Are they also ok for my Receiver?

BTW, Do you have any idea about DVD Player? Do I need to buy a new DVD with HDMI that can connect to my Receiver? Appreciate your valued advices.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us