Need more speaker power

Username: Jman8108

Post Number: 2
ok ive got a sony str-de-995 reciever that is 7.1 It puts out 110 watts per channel. I am using paradigm speakers that are all rated much higher than this. I want to achieve the full potential of these speakers by putting much more wattage to them, could someone help me out??? Thanx in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2338
Use a power amp...try Outlaw Audio 7100.

Funny story
Unregistered guest
Back in my very early hi-fi days, quite a few years ago now.. I had the same problem. I nievely assumed that more direct power to the speakers would give a louder volume, so, I got myself a car battery from the garage and wired it up to the speaker wire.. As soon as I conected the + wire.. PZZZTT..POOOOFFFFFF.. I wrecked the speaker, filled the room with smoke and burnt my fingers.. I know better now!!

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1068
110 true watts is more than enough to drive any speaker to it's potential. Unfortunatly Sony more than anyone overrates their power. Chances are if you crank up this receiver you are going to go into clipping rather quickly. The Outlaw amp Berny mentioned puts out a true 100 watts and will drive any speaker effortlessly as will several other amps and receivers. You don't mention what Paradigms you have but speakers do not need nor are they hardly ever driven anywhere near their rated capacity. It doesn't work that way. If you are unhappy get a better sounding amp/receiver.

Post Number: 3
ok thanx for the advice im a little low on cash now so im gonna look into that amp and maybe later on buy it and install it, see how it sounds

Post Number: 4
ok i know you connect all the speakers to the amplifier directly but how do you connect the amp to the a/v receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2364
You should have pre-outs on your receiver. You connect those to the input of the power amp and you connect the speakers to the power amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us