Thoughts or Help with Home Theater Installation

Unregistered guest
I currently have the following setup and would appreciate any helpful direction which may improve the setup

Home Theater System: Onkyo HT-S770
Following is current setup - all video connections are via RCA Composite due to age of TV
1) DVD Player - Video Out to Receiver IN
(RCA Composite Video Cable
Yellow)
- Audio out to receiver in via
digital coaxial connection
(Listed as DVD Connection On Back of
Receiver)
2) VCR Player - Video Out to Receiver IN with
Receiver Out back to Video IN
- Audio Out to receiver IN with
Receiver Out back to Audio IN
(RCA Composite Cables Red,
White and Yellow)
(Listed as Video 1 on back of Receiver)
3) DirecTV Sat. Receiver - Video and Audio out
to Receiver Video and Audio IN
(RCA Composite Cables Red,
White, and Yellow)
4) Connection to TV from A/V Receiver - RCA
Composite video cable from Monitor Out
to Yellow Video Connection on TV
5) External TV Antenna - Antenna IN to DirecTV
Ant. IN F1 connector - From DirecTV F1
Connector "Out to TV" goes to VCR "Ant. IN"
The VCR "Out to TV" goes via coax to the Ant.
Input (F1 connector) on TV set.
Due to the age of the TV I only have the Ant. IN and one set of Composite "Red, White & Yellow" connectors.
My Questions:
1) Does this setup appear to be my best shot?
2) I am also wanting to connect my C-Band Satellite receiver to the mix -- it has RCA Composite (Red, White, Yellow) labeled "To Monitor", "To VCR" and "EXT IN"; along with F1 coax connectors for "Ant. IN" and "Out to TV" Is it possible to connect this by chaining it with the other components via the available connections and which one should I use? Would it be better to hav e it feeding thru the DirecTV receiver or vice versa? Is another possibility to use the coax F1 connection and use a splitter to attach it and the VCR out antenna coax to the TV "Ant. IN"?
I have tried to search the internet for the answer but have been unable to find a diagram with the same or similar component setup.
Thanks for everyone's time and help. It is greatly appreciated.
Gary

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 27
1. It looks ok with Composite being the highest quality you can display. You can view Antenna channels with the DBS off, you can record DBS channels or Antenna. I think you've got it covered.

The only thing better (which I know you realize) is a SVid or Component video input on your TV.

2. Depends, it has been years since I dealt with C-Band and I don't know what level of audio decoding they are at now. But it sounds like you could utilize stereo and possible prologic surround with the composites (red/wht RCA)through a component switcher such as the #180-932 from PartsExpress.com and connect it in line with the DBS or VCR. OR you could use a simple RF A/B switch and interrupt your cable/ant signal path and insert the C-band. But you may not be able to take advantage of stereo broadcasts.

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 290
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide

Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us