Cable Audio Not working in new HTS

Username: Sundog2000

Post Number: 1
I am installing my first home theater system and I have the DVD/CD/radio/VCR working. My problem comes with Cable TV. It's not that the sound isn't surround, it's that it's not coming through the home theater system at all.

I am not running the cable from a cable box - it's from a coax plugged into a jack in the wall.
Wall-> Coax -> VCR IN -> VCR OUT -> Coax -> TV IN TV OUT -> RED/WHITE/YELLOW (RCA?) -> Samsung DVD Home Theater System Auxilary 1 ports.

When I hooked up my VCR to Auxilary 1, it worked. So I think the HTS itself works. So I think I have eliminated the possibilities except for either my TV OUT being defective, or there being a menu setting in my TV that I have overlooked.

When I check the manual for my TV (an older Philips Magnavox TP36810, it basically says to hook up the cables and turn both systems on. Great help that is - and the manual's instructios don't really correspond to the menus I see on my TV. Magnavox's web site is down, but I really doubt theyw ill have better documentation there, for this TV that is six years old.

Am I missing something big here?
Any Magnavox owners that know of a special setting that will enable audio output to work?
Is there a way to confirm that audio is getting put on those lines from the TV to the receiver?

Thanks,
Nick

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2182
check this
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the direction.
I think that this image is a good display of my setup: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113705.jpg except I also have a VCR between the cable and TV (with lines running from the VCR to the receiver as well. So I feel like this reassures me that I have done the cabling properly.

Any further suggestiosn?

Post Number: 3
I have implemented a work-around solution - I am taking the audio out from my VCR to the receiver, and using the VCR to watch cable.

The Magnavox support person I spoke with concluded that the audio out must have been bad. I'm not entirely convinced, but, this work-around works, although it's not entirely satisfying.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us