Axiom M3Ti, Athena AS-B2, NHT SB2 & Aperion 522d

Username: Dsiroky

Post Number: 2
The subject sums it up. I'm trying to decide between these speakers. I plan to use the system for a mix of music and movies, just like most people these days, but I also plan to hook up a Digital Stage Piano (Roland RD700). A lot of speaker/receiver sets don't do very well with piano sound reproduction, so I'd look forward to your feedback on which of these I should go with.

I've grouped them into 2 tiers... The Athena/Axiom which seem to run around $280 per pair, and the Aperion/NHTs that seem to run around $360 per pair.

On paper the Aperion/Axioms look like they might have slightly less bass response than the others... going down to 60hz on the specs instead of 50hz.. like the SB2s and the AS-B2, however it's always hard to tell without auditioning them, or seeing the full frequency response curve on a chart.

Ideally I wouldn't need to buy a new subwoofer... I have an existing 8" 100 watt kenwood that I use with my current aging Kenwood HTB-504 system that I'd like to continue to use rather than spending an additional $500 on a new amp.

The room is small... about 200 sq feet, and I'm planning a 6.1 setup. The couch is 2 feet from the wall - and I've read in some places that I might be better off staying with 5.1.

Preference would be to wall mount (it's nice that NHT has something in white) but it's not essential. If the AS-B2 is just as good as the SB2, I'd rather save the $300 and go with that.

What are your thoughts?

Username: Dsiroky

Post Number: 3
Forgot to add.. Yamaha RX-V1400 amp.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Post Number: 358
I like the axiom m3ti - they sell direct so they can offer you more quality for the buck.

You can get them cheaper here -

http://www.vertigoonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AMB S667

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 237
The NHTs would match well with the Yamaha 1400. And if you like the nice high details, the Axioms will be great.
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us