Newbie Question, Please Help

GoodBrother
Unregistered guest
Hi, my brother recently moved into a brand new home with a room wired for 7.1 sound already (3 front, 2 side, 2 rear speaker outlets). With a new mortgage and a new baby, he really doesn't have the funds to equip the room and I would like to buy his family an entry-level 7.1 surround sound system to get them started. I only have a 5.1 system and it was installed professionally so I really know very little about the new 7.1 systems.

In terms of "el cheapo" 7.1 systems, the local mass electronic stores are advertising primarily Sony packages (all of the Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo packages are mostly 5.1 or 6.1). One store advertised a for "a Sony 7.1 system" for around $500 which includes the Sony 597 receiver with a Sony 7.1 speaker package for cheap but I didn't think the 597 is a 7.1 receiver...

With all of the experts here, I would like to get some advice as to what to get. The room is approximately 15ft X 24ft with built-in shelves surrounding the TV; I believe bookshelf speakers would be appropriate. I don't really have a firm budget, I am willing to spend a few bucks more if there is a good reason to but I think $500-$1,000 would be appropriate.

Bronze Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 28
So are you looking for a system that comes with speakers?

GoodBrother
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a receiver plus speakers plus subwoofer. It can be all in one package or all separate. I don't mind going to 3 or 4 different places to piece the package together.

Bronze Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 32
Okay I found a good 7.1 system. It is an Onkyo 7.1 THX certified 100 watt per channel system. It is only the reciever, but it is only $590. so you still have about $400 to spend on speakers. Here is the place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39797%26item%3D5738853639 %26

It's on ebay, but i've bought all of my stuff on ebay and never had a problem, so, this is a good place to get that 7.1 system.

On ebay a found (just speakers) a 7.1 speaker package for $349. I t has a 12 inch 300 watt subwoofer and a 100 watt center channel, and the rest of the six speakers, here is the place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67918%26item%3D5738804991 %26%26

With this your brother will have a very good system, that is not a cheap entry level reciever, and it's THX certified which already makes it a good reciever. Anyways, the reciever is a very good deal and the speakers are more entry level but for your budget, they'll be fine.

Hope this helps you, if you have any other questions or concerns please email me.
-monkey man jack

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us