Video problems with Component Video Cable

Username: Tateke

Post Number: 1
I get a "bar" that travels up my screen. I just ran my component cable in the wall and now I get this line. I was using a cheap cable, I know, so I upgraded it to an Accoustic Reasearch cable and now the line is less noticible, but stil there. When I pull the cable from behind the wall and plus it in directly to the receiver the line goes away. Any ideas?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2072
you may other wiring behind the wall that is interfering with your signals, possibly power wires. You may have to forgo behind the wall cabling, or purchase even more expensive video cabling that is thickly shielded, but if it is in very close proximity to power wires, it may be fruitless.

Post Number: 2
What would "close proximity" mean in distance? I checked and there is a power cable in the wall it is about 2.5 - 3 ft. away from the component cable, but there is nothing between them. Would a Monster cable be better? is there anything I can do to shield it better? Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2077
I wouldn't say that Monster cable would be better. Your proximity to the power lines is the main problem, and yes, that is pretty close. Try to get double shielded video cables, check the various cable sources on this web page and you should find a solution.
How long are your video cable runs?

Post Number: 3
I need about 9ft., but the current cable is 12ft. Any recommendations on which cable I should use?
Thanks for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 41
How (Why) did you run 9' of cable in the wall? To where? Is your component cable running parallel or perpendicular to the power cable?

If I recall what I've seen on various sites, if your running parallel to the power you need to be at least 7+' apart.

Post Number: 4
Well that is how far the receiver is from the TV. The actual amount of wire that is in the wall is about 3 ft. The cable is running parallel to the power cable.

Bronze Member
Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 42
Again, Why? For 3' just leave it on run along the base board.

Anyway, if you can get to the wall, you need to put something (Distance, 2x4s, some kind of shielding) between the power and component cables.

Assuming you are running horizontally, try putting some 2x4s between the studs and between your cables. Maybe face each side with some scrap drywall. I don't know if it would help, but maybe even try some aluminum foil.

Since you said running the cable outside the wall works, it seems a couple layers of drywall or just the 2x4s should block enough of the interference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us