Componet Cable vs DVI vs HDMI/DVI Cable

Username: Pepperdogs

Post Number: 1
Hi

Background

Renovating my room now. It is 3m (10ft) by 2.75m (9ft). Wife wants the cables to concealed in the wall - hence need to make decision on cables now.

Set on getting the Denon 3905 AVR and the Infocus Screenplay 4805. Will have an X-Box connected as well.

Considering upgrading my current Pioneer DVD player with component cables / optical output to the Denon DV 2910 at some point later. The Denon 2910 comes with DVI / HDMI outputs.

Will be getting decent component cables from QED, Supra or Belden.

Need some advise on whether to run extra DVI or HDMI cables to the projector for later upgraded DVD : Options

1. DVI-D cable

2. HDMI Cable - with DVI connector to projector (Projector comes with DVI input only)

3. Just stick with the component cables and forget the DVI / HDMI spare cables. Do you think that the DVI or HDMI will make any significant difference to the picture quality?

Thanks for your time and comments

Anonymous

Your current setup appears to optimized for regular DVD at 480p - since your projector is configured per the specs at WVGA (854 x 480)

The real problem will happen if and when you move to a full 1280 x 720p projector - (e.g. Panasonic PT AE700U LCD @ 2200 dollars.) You then mostly likely need HDMI/DVI runs to optimize picture quality -as this class of projector can produce pristine hi def movie theater-like detail

Also HD-DVD is almost here, and only HDMI will allow (with tolls on some kind) copying to dvd disc

If you plan to stay with 480p on your projector, component cables are fine for now

Of course, HDMI cables are costly, however, ripping out walls can be worse

Post Number: 2
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply.

Will probably go with 10m Belden component cables and 10m generic DVI supplied by the Infocus dealer. I understand that the Infocus has a DVI - M1 input with HDCP decryption. Not sure what that means .... but think I won't spend 3x more for 8m of Supra DVI or 6x more 8m of Supra HDMI cables with DVI adapters.....

May also down grade the DVD player to the Denon DVD 1910 - as it also has a DVI output and is less than half the price of the 2910.

Wondering also whether to downgrade the Denon AVR from the 3805 to the 2805 - 30% cheaper.. but no HDCD decode and no cool backlit LCD remote control..

Your comments about the Screenplay 4805 has also set me thinking... You are right about the resolution being 854 x 480 - so why is it so highly rated in all the magazines?? Must confessed I have been very swayed by all the awards and reviews.

My other option is the Hitachi PJ- TX100 - which is an LCD monitor for 20% more.. Resolution 1290 x 720 - with DVI-D - HDCP compatible

Any comments?

Thanks

Anonymous

ok i now see on the net the Hitachi PJ-TX100, that is a full HDTV projector @ 720p - apparently one of the new generation low cost LCD projectors, along with Sanyo Z3, Infocus 5000, and and the PT AU700U - all selling "cheap" by projector standards, Sony has a pure hi-def cheaper model too but its high 2000 not low 2000 range

I believe its 1.6 on the lense on that Hitachi, better than most but short of the Panasonic

Cable runs and dvd players are somewhat discretionary as to which is best - the big difference is in whether the projector itself can handle for example the best for what the cable companies (e.g comcast) or the SATs and VOOM etc are putting out

The "awards" are done usually within a class and in fact some really only need an optmized dvd setup which does not currently require 720p. Its only recently in fact that a huge bulk of new 720p or 1080i source material has been out there

However, no need to worry, the projectors will be getting cheaper and better by the day - and as long as someone can string wires together - they will have a far better deal than any big box tv's

Post Number: 6
Hi

Have thought about it and looks like this is going to be my set up.

1. Denon AVR - 2805 or 3805
2. Denon DVD - 1910 or 2910

May go with the lower model options. The salesman made a valid point - my room size is small so no need for such high end stuff and everything else should be proportionately matched.

3. Infocus 4805 + generic pull down screen (70 inch)

4. Front Speakers - JM Lab Chorus 706 or 716
5. Centre Speaker - JM Lab Chorus
6. Sub-Woofer - JM Lab or Paradigm
7. Rear Speakers - JM Lab Chorus 706

Cables

8. Belden Component
9. QED - Silver Anniversary - for rear speakes
10. QED - XT 300 - for front and centre speakers
11. QED - Qunex - Subwoofer

not sure about optical cables - have not researched yet - any difference.

Last but not least

12. XBox - with HD kit

Thanks

If you have any critics about the match-up - would appreciate your comments
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us