Questions for you Onkyo HTS-650 owners...

Anonymous
After reading many reviews both here and at other sites, and listening in the showroom to other set-ups below $500 (in and out-of box), I decided that this was the best bang for the buck. I do have some issues, and maybe someone can help me with them.

1. I am using the cheap speaker wire that comes with the system. I am not averse to purchasing more expensive cable, or even monster cable for that matter, but I want to know what exactly will be improved with high-quality wire and sub-cables. I'm very curious and I want actual reasons, not "It just sounds better!" Is it louder, better clarity, more bass, etc?

2. This may be related to #1, but I have found that while watching 5.1 movies (DTS or DD) the center channel sounds somewhat tinny. Voices don't have the oomph or rich tonal quality that I would expect. Also, many DVD's produce a center channel distortion effect. Usually it is when a person is speaking and they yell or hit an "s" sound. It almost sounds like the distortion on a recording when the person being recorded speaks loudly and causes the "recording level" to spike into the red. Overdriven is the word that comes to mind. I tried a buddy's center channel and it does the same thing (with my cables) so it's not the speaker.

Is there anyway to fix this? Is it the cables, are all 650's like this? or is this one defective.

I need help.

Anonymous
Also, is there any advantage to coax over optical. I'm using optical cables now.

tslugmo
It's funny, I was just noticing this effect tonight (#2) while watching Dish Network. Certain commercials have this effect on my cheapo Sony Pro Logic Minisystem. I was assuming it was something wrong with the encoding, since it was just TV and doesn't happen on all broadcasts. Maybe it's the cheapo wires I'm using, too, but I haven't really noticed this before now. Maybe it's sun spots or sometthing.

Hope somebody can shed some light on this.

-tslugmo

Anonymous
Have you adjusted the crossover setting and the bass and treble levels on the receiver. The receiver is initially set at the crossover point of 80Hz, but I notice a big improvement when the crossover is set to 120Hz. This makes the subwoofer reproduce more of the lower midrange making the sound more full. Also, I have the treble at +12 (this might be the opposite of what you're trying to fix though, but sounds good in my room) and the bass at +12. Also, make sure the Subwoofer mode is set to mode 1.

In terms of cable...

Optical and Coaxial are the same over short runs (say, under 10 feet). Over very long runs, Optical is better at preserving the signal.

Better quality cable helps to block interferance and ensure that the signal doesn't degrade, so basically having all the benefits you mention; louder, better clarity, more bass, etc. Some people don't notice enough of a difference to think it's worth it though.

All the cables that come with the HTS 650 are crap. I think you would benefit from any upgrade from those. Doesn't necessarily have to be brand name Monster cable either. 12 or 14 gauge for the mains, 14 or 16 gauge for the surrounds, and a cable for the sub.

Get the Monster Home Theater 100 kit at your local Walmart for $69.00 and use them all. End of problem.

For a cheaper solution try Home Depot or Radio Shack.

docwarri
For the coaxial connection, what kind of cable should be used?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us