Suggestions for HT Speakers and Amp

Username: Pinchaser

Post Number: 1
I am looking to invest in HT since I recently gave away my old on to my son (first appartment).

I have a good sub that I want to incorporate: Miller & Kreisel v-125.

Room size is 12x18x8 (appartment) almost an ideal living room.

I am looking for surround sound speakers and center and I have budgeted about 750.00 for them...

And a reciever that I have 750.00 budgeted for. I am not firm on these prices... but I enjoy clarity, crisp sound.

Thanks for your time.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1997
If you want clear and crisp I would suggest a set of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's all around, mated to a Pioneer Elite 54tx.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

Post Number: 2
Any recommendations on where to purchase ascends?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2001
I haven't seen them around brick and mortar stores and chain stores. I've only bought them through their website.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Berny...

It appears the vsx-54tx is difficult to find as well. But I have found some.

With respect to 5.1,6.1 and 7.1: I am considering either 6.1 or 7.1. Is there a significant benifit to sound quality from these choices? As well, I have had some HT systems that did not play music but to the 2.1 or 3.1 speakers... I hate this. Does this amp play music (cd's,radio...etc) to all the speakers?

Finally, some research I have done on Onkyo has shown me a feature they have using ethernet and software on a computer to share mp3's (etc). Is Onkyo not a good choice for sound quality? Above all I care about sound quality.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2002
I believe the 54 tx is getting harder to find because it is being replaced, but it is still one of the best receivers around for the features and money. and you should be able to get it at a substantial discount.
This receiver can play music to all the speakers, it is all a matter of choosing the surround format available on your receiver, i.e., neo6, prologic, circle surround, etc.
5.1 to 6.1...the benefits are not substantial nor mind blowing, although nice to have, is not necessary. There's not a lot of material encoded in 6.1 or 7.1, most of them are just the rear surround matrixed in to the extra speakers unless they are in discrete format.
The Onkyo feature is great, however, mp3s are not a great source of sound quality. Otherwise, Onkyos are also great receivers.

Post Number: 4
Berny... thanks again... however now I am realizing that I am having difficulties purchasing something that I cant hear for myself. Those suggested speakers sure "read" great but I just cant bring myslef to order them. What would be your next suggestion, that I might hear at a local store? And since I am having difficulties finding a location that actually has the Pioneer Amp in stock, what would be your alternitive there.

I was thinking about those Bose 301 Series V with the matched center. But reading in this forum I see that Bose is not respected. I personally like the fuller sound those speakers make and realise its because of the size of them. This is why I was interested in bookshelf type speakers.

I think, based on your comments, there is no real reason to consider 6.1 or 7.1 so I will stick to 5.1 at least until those formats are well supported. The room is less than 2000cft and the extra speakers is not necessary to fill the room anyway (at least this is what I have read).

As always, I appreciate your assistance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2006
The best thing to do is listen to Bose and compare it with other speakers available to you. Who knows, you may still prefer Bose, its all really up to you. Have you any local audio retailers? You can look around for Paradigm dealers and give them a listen.

As far as amps/receivers go...If you can get hold of any Pioneers in the Elite line up, its almost always a sure thing.

You can also go to Best Buy and listen to the Athena speakers, ASB-1 or ASB-2, great bookshelves.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us