Questions about using DTS ES 6.1 discrete with 7.1 setup

Username: Sardius

Post Number: 1
Here's my equipment:
Yamaha RX-2400 receiver
4 Paradigm Cinema 70 speakers
1 Paradigm Cinema 70 front channel speaker
2 Paradigm ADP70 dipole speakers

Now, I have the dipoles placed directly to the side of my listening position with all the satellites in the corners. Does this sound right as far as placement goes ?

Also, I've been watching the LOTR extended editions which support DTS ES 6.1 discrete. What happens to the signal that is supposed to be sent to the rear channel when I have SBL and SBR ? The sound is outputted the same to both rear surround speakers ?

Also, I've noticed that the rear channel is rarely used. Most of the time, no audio comes out, and when it does, it is quite weak. I'm sure the polarity is ok with each speaker in the rear. Is this just how the rear channel is supposed to work ? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1955
have you calibrated your speaker outputs?

Username: Sardius

Post Number: 2
Yes, I have. SBL and SBR are at 80% while all other speakers are at 50%. I've also adjust the delay. FR and FL are both 15 feet in front of the listening position and 6 ft away on either side. SR and SL are even with the listening position (dipole speakers) and also 6 ft on either side. SBR and SBL are 8 feet behind the listening position and are 6 ft on either side.

The thing is, it seems like the rear channel is used quite sparingly in most DTS ES films, and when it is, it's very subtle in volume.

Is this how it is in your experience ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us