Bose Bashing??

Unregistered guest
Putting together a new HT... I've heard mixed reviews about the Bose AM15/16 and wonder if I need something more. I've seen Energy's in the same price range (1000-1200) but not sure which is a better fit.
The receiver I'm looking at is either Denon 2803 or Onkyo 701.... Any opinions are appreciated!

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 119
For the price of either the Bose or the Energy speakers, you can do much better. Check out the KEF 2005.2 system. Another choice that is better is two pair of NHT SB-1s, an NHT SC-1 center, and an NHT SW10II sub. Both systems I have priced at exactly $1100, and they are a much better choice with either of the receivers you seem locked in on.

Ellis
Unregistered guest
Thanks Hawk
Are the Bose that highly overrated? Any opinion on the Denon or Onkyo as far as receivers go?

Username: Steveo3818

Post Number: 3
After comparing a $500 infinity 5.1 set-up, it blew away my Bose AM15. Since recently seeing the light concerning Bose I would only suggest them if the space is tight and your wife has a problem with speakers clashing with her decor.

Post Number: 120
Ellis:

I agree with Steve--the Bose are very over-rated. Despite what they claim in their commercials, one does not operate outside the laws of physics and the Bose have no bass driver except for the so-called subwoofer module, which is not really a subwoofer at all, but is a single woofer for the whole system. Makes for lousy imaging and incapable of filling any decent sized room. Doesn't have the ability to move enough air to really sound that good. For what you get, the Bose is very expensive.

As for receivers, I have a Denon 3803 and I am pretty unhappy with it (next week, I expect to replace it with an NAD 753). If it is what you want, then so be it. Even so, I think the Denon is better than the Onkyo. I prefer receivers that have a smoother amp section and can be very engaging to listen to such as NAD or Marantz. I want more than just sound from my system--I want it to sound real. What are you looking to spend on a receiver?

Username: Discoshrew111

Post Number: 9
I can't say enough good things about the Orb Audio systems. It's a no brainer between that and Bose and some of the other options out there. The Energy are good speakers, too, but I think the Orb are just priced better, sound better and sharper looking. If you steer clear of Bose, and pick any of the other systems mentioned here, you will be happier.

Ellis
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to spend in the $500-800 range for the receiver... I thought the Denon and Onkyo were pretty respectable for that price. As far as the speakers I'm off the Bose bandwagon. I'd love to hear some more opinions on the Orb Mod 2 set-up... sounds interesting

Post Number: 129
Ellis:

The Orb Mod2s are a 4 ohm speaker, so in your price range there is only one receiver that will work properly--NAD. You can get a 743 for about $560 from Kiefs (www.kiefs.com) or about $799 for the 753. Much better sounding than either Onkyo or Denon.

Username: Discoshrew111

Post Number: 10
The Mod2 work fine with my JVC receiver. I'm told that the small, highly efficient drivers will work fine with pretty much any receiver out there, notwithstanding the fact that the Mod2 are 4 ohms. I bought the JVC that they sell, and it works just fine playing loudly and there is no sign of overheating, clipping, etc. The fuss over 4 ohms I think is a much bigger deal when you are talking about bigger drivers. If you are interested in the Mod2, give the guys at Orb a call...I spoke to them for a long time before buying to get more info on their product and they were very patient and helpful. Extremely so, in fact. And, the product totally backed up their promises about performance, which is a rarer and rarer thing these days. I stil think that other speakers mentioned here are also good, and it looks like you've been persuaded to steer clear of Bose, which means you're on the right track. In my opinion, though, the Orbs sound fantastic and you get a lot for your money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us