Downside to Ascend CBM-170's?

Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 3
First, let me beg the board's indulgence for yet another stupid newbie question. I have poured over the reviews, as well as comments on this board. I have yet to find any "bad press" on the Ascends. Taking into account their niche in the market (i.e., "entry-level," bookshelf, etc.), are there any negatives? I have compared them to comparable Axioms, HTD's, and Athenas, as all fall into my limited budget. From reading, I realize that a system's beauty is in the ear of the beholder. I have poured over the reviews and specs on the competition (Axiom, Athena, and HTD), and the Ascends seem to come out on top ON PAPER. Regretfully, the only way to audition them is to order them, and ship the runners-up back.

While I'm taking up bandwidth (sorry), any suggestions on compatible receivers would be appreciated for use in a 20' X 12' room? Sincere thanks to all for your valued help!

Username: Project6

Post Number: 164
A nice choice of speakers. What is your budget for the receiver?
but without knowing that, I would put these with the Outlaw Audio 950/7100 combo for $1598 or the NAD T763 or if that is tad too much, I'll go with the NAD T752 and for a lower budget the T742.
cheers

Post Number: 4
Thanks for your reply, Berny. I really like what I've read about the NAD T763, but I'm afraid it's a bit out of my league. I will be trying to stay below $550, if possible. My listening area is 20' X 14' X 9'. Been looking at the "budget" Denons and Onkyo, but would really like to try NAD. Thanks again for your reply.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_s

Post Number: 12
There are a lot of people on this board that swear by Marantz amps. You can get a 6300 for under $550, a really sweet amp. JOe

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 153
Walkeye:

You can get an NAD 743 for about $560, so it certainly is within your price range. Call Kief's (www.kiefs.com) for a good price. Marantz is my second choice. Denons and Onkyos are a real come-down, sound quality wise, IMO.

Post Number: 5
Joe & Hawk:

Your suggestions are appreciated. I managed to audition the 743 with Paradigm Studio 20's the other day. I was very impressed. The combination was striking. Local dealer asking $749 (US) for the 743, and $699/pr. for the Studio 20's. I'll give Kief's a call. Thanks again for the valued advice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us