Xbox + Z-680: where's the surround sound?

Username: Sjdi

Post Number: 1
i just got some logitech z-680s. they're hooked up to my xbox via "TosLink" optical cable and the xbox AV pack. In the xbox menu, i set the audio menu to "dolby digital"

i've put in a few games, expected to be blown away by positional audio and ... lame

two of the games i'm particularly expecting impressive sound from are halo 2 and burnout3 - the games specifically lists "in-game dolby digital" as a feature, and when the game starts (after the menu is done loading), the control center shows:

Input: Optical
Effect: "DD" Digital

there does seem to be positional audio, but to notice it, i have to:
1) turn the music off, and crank the sound effects up
2) turn the center speaker right down
3) crank the surround level right up
4) sit right up against (one of the) rear speakers

this just doesn't seem right

i believe i've got the speakers positioned correctly:
- front left/right angled in, with me sitting the same distance from them as they are from each other (i.e. they're 4 feet apart, and i'm sitting about 4 feet away)
- the rears are 4 feet apart from each other, in line with their corresponding front speaker, angled in

the ONLY things i can think of is:
1) i'm using a mixture of speaker cable. the cables provided were long enough only for the center and fronts; i needed to buy extra cable to wire up the rears, and ended up using 16 guage wire.
2) the optical cable i have has round ends. are there any other kinds? might i have the wrong kind?

could either of these things explain the poor positional audio?

any other ideas?

thanks in advance,
Steve

Username: Jinx76

Post Number: 2
I just got the Xbox AV pack today and hooked it up. It works fine with halo 2, but it's kinda weird. The Surround speakers are hella loud! Is it the same for you ? I hope I don't need to change any volume settings of the speakers from the receiver. I just want everything to be automatic!!! :p If you figure it out...please post. Thanks@!

theaznshadow
Unregistered guest
spread out the satelites, the distance between the front ones, and same goes for the rear satelittes. turn down the subs strength, up the surround volume, and that should do the trick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us