Advice for HT needed.

Anonymous
I'm looking at getting my first HT system. I'm trying to keep costs as close to $1000 as possible (depending on my finances possibly up to $1500). I'm guessing about $500 for a receiver, ie Onkyo TXSR600, but may go with TXSR500 which is less expensive.

But I have no idea about what speakers to look at. I've heard the Polk Audio RM6600 with PSW350 subwoofer at the local Circuit City. I thought they sounded very good. However, at around $900 its a bit on the high side for my price range. I've heard other people mention Paradigm as a very good bang for the buck speakers. What speakers from Paradigm should I compare to the 6600's?

Or are there any other speakers that I should consider? Or any other receivers to match with a set of speakers to hit my price point yet have a good sounding system?

Thanks,
-C

asdf
I would rather get the Denon AVR-1803. Pretty much like the Onkyo TXSR600 but with more power and connections. Oh... and the remote has been improved.

As for speakers, it is very much personal preference. I have a set of Paradigm Reference speakers and like them a lot. Check out the "recommended systems" section on the Paradigm web-site to see what fits in your budget. http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SystemChoice/systems.html

Anonymous
Thanks.

Looking at Paradigm's recommended systems, I'm interested in the System Two (Atom speakers). I went to a local store and they sounded very good too. Since I can't hear them side-by-side, its difficult for a newbie like me to say which sounded better. However, there are a lot of sales going on with Polk's speakers right now. I can get a 5.1 6600 or 6700 speaker system $200 (easily can be close to $300 if you buy mail order Polk and save on sales tax) less than the Paradigms. In my budget constraints, that is a lot of money.

In looking at reviews, I've really only found the CNET review of the 6700 for the Polks. There are plenty on the Atoms (in various model years), from the likes of sterophile, etc.

Does anybody have experience with either of these systems?

triedemall
Do you have access to the Energy Take 5 system (i believe $800 includes a subwoofer)? I have Paradigm Monitor 11's but for the $ the Energy's are excellent.

Anonymous
Unfortunately, I don't have access to hear Energy Speakers.

I think a place near me has NHTs, Klipsch and Monitor Audios (with the exception of possibly the lowend NHTs the others are probably a bit out of my budget).

Thanks for your help. Any and all input is appreciated.

Anonymous
I have another question about speakers. I've noticed on some of the speaker packages (and even some that aren't necessarily packages but in the same model line) that there are 4 of the same satellites, but the center channel has a different speaker size--the tweeter will be the same but the bass/midrange will be different, as well as different sizes for the front speakers and rear.. An example of the latter is the NHT packages that I've seen advertised: (2)SB-1, (2)SB-2, (1)SC-1, and (1)SW-10. It is my understanding that you want to have the same size speakers all around like (4)Paradigm Atoms with a CC-170 center. Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Anonymous
Its not necessary for the drivers to be the same size but that the speakers be voiced to sound similar and have similar dispersion characteristics. Most center channels that are horizontal will sound different to the left and rights if listened to slightly off axis.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us