Onkyo HTS-650 Speaker Wire Help

Bob Zim
?\??took the plunge and picked up the Onkyo HTS-650 from Circuit City. I've read a lot of posts that say the speaker wire should be upgraded to improve the sound quality. I haven't set up the system yet and I was hoping someone could suggest what type of wires I would need. Also, if anyone has had a good experience with a certain brand or knows a website to get them cheaper, that would be appreciated. Just so you know, I'm a newbie at this, so any extra advice would be welcome. Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Home Depot sells speaker wire by the foot. You don't need monster wire. I used 16 gauge. Crutchfield says you can get away with 16 gauge for runs of 50 feet or less. Any longer and you need a lower gauge (larger) wire. My longest runs are 30 feet to the surrounds (my wire went in wall during construction.) I believe many people recommend 14 or even 12 gauge wire for everything, since the cost is not that much more. I'm not sure whether the Onkyo's connections will take 12 gauge, but the 16 gauge did the trick. I also used an accoustic resource subwoofer wire for $16 that works very well.

Muto
I wouldn't bother with 12-gauge. I used 14-gauge wire for the surrounds and 16-gauge for the fronts/center. I bot a Radio Shack Gold Ends Audio RCA cable for the sub. Sounds great ... still surprised at the quality of sound for a system costing just $500.

Does anyone have a Kenwood HTB-505 system and/or a Onkyo HT-S650 or heard them both when set up properly? I am trying to decide if the extra $ for the HT-S650 is worth it?

My room is 12 X 15 feet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us