Athena Point 5 vs Energy Encore

Countdown Kid
Unregistered guest
I am trying to decide between the Athena Point 5 with either the Athena ASP 300 or 400 sub or the Energy Encore package.
I have listened to both a bit and am planning to go back for a final listen before I buy.
I would appreciate any comments on either system.
Both seem to have very good reviews.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 124
a great sounding speaker system, the Point 5s has excellent clarity and not overly bright. The only thing I did not like are their subwoofers, it sounds a little weak specially the ASP 300. A lot of people like it though.
cheers

Username: Edison

Post Number: 327
For the same money, you can get bookshelves for the front that sound fuller and does music well too. Read all the raving reviews here - www.axiomaudio.com

You can buy them here for less -

http://www.vertigoonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

AMBS667 - Front
AMMS - back
AVCCS - center
AES - sub

Total - about $660

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 92
Kid:

I would get the Athenas in a heartbeat over the Encore package. However, I agree with you on the sub. Subs are not the best part of Athena (which, BTW, is the same company as Energy).

Just get the Point 5s without the sub and get another brand of sub. The Point 5s sans sub are $399, so you can see they are asking $400 for the Athena sub. For that amount of money, you can get one of the new Hsu STF-2s, which is a far better sub than either the Athena or the Energy. Dr. Hsu is THE MAN in subs. Check it out at www.hsuresearch.com.

Good luck!

Countdown Kid
Unregistered guest
Hawk,
Thanks for your input.
The money I save between the Encore and Point 5 will go into the receiver which could be the HK AVR230 or Onkyo 601, Any suggestion here would help as well. I have listened to both and the HK seems slightly mellower.

Post Number: 99
HK is the better built receiver (much better power supply and output transistors). A very good combo with the Athena Point 5s . . .

Countdown Kid
Unregistered guest
Thanks Hawk.
Had one more system come up.
The Yamaha 1400 with the Energy Encore.
Cost is over 1.5 times the HK Athena package, sounds a little smoother in stereo, other wise very close. Is it worth the difference? 50/50 music/theater.
Any comments are appreciated.

Post Number: 137
Not in my opinion. The Encore system has no air to it--the sound is very flat and two dimensional to me. I think the Athenas sound better, regardless of price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us