5.1 analog connection

Unregistered guest
I have always used the optical connection on my DVD player and reciever, but recently with all the talk of DVD-A and SACD i connected my 5.1 analog inputs. My question is, is it common that when listening to a DVD in the analog 5.1 mode to lose a lot of bass from the track. It seems as though my sub is almost non existant with the 5.1 analog connections unless I turn the sub volume all the way up. Everything else is crisp and sharp and the connection still decoded DD and DTS, just have a problem with the bass sounds. Is this common?

Bronze Member
Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 44
You're using the D/A converter on your DVD player now, it may not be as good as the one in your receiver. You also have to have better cables, because your DVD player's output is analong instead of digital. Overall the optical connection is a better bet for DVD players, but due to copyright laws, DVD-A and SACD must be output via analog :-( <--that really pisses me off.

baire
Unregistered guest
thank you for the info. That makes sense. I always thought a digital connection would be superior to analg, thats why I couldnt figure all the hype to SACD and DVD-A through analog. Im sure they are good, but not digital quality. I just wasnt aware of the copyright. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 51
They think that you're going to digitally copy their music and make true 1:1 copies. What is pitiful though, is that I can take that dvd-a and put it in my computer and do exactly that. Morons

Bronze Member
Username: Sandiego

Post Number: 34
I'm trying to understand this. I have a DVD audio disk and I can play it on my dvd player running an optical cable to my receiver. When I do that the receiver reads "Digital." So is it not really in 5.1? do I need to use the analog multi channel inputs and outputs to fuly enjoy dvd audio and SACD?

JamesCB
Unregistered guest
Yes, you MUST use the 6 analog outputs from the player to get SACD and DVD-A.

James

Unregistered guest
baire,

There are some SACD/DVD-A players that have very low sub output. The sub output on my universal player is about 10 dB less than the other channels.

You will need to calibrate your system by ear or with a SPL meter to balance the levels of all your speakers.

I also want to reiterate what James said. If you are using the digital connection for your DVD/SAC-D player, you are NOT getting high-res audio. And for multi-channel discs, you are not getting the true multi-channel output, although you may think you are if your receiver is using Pro Logic or some other DSP mode, which will be inferior to the multi-channel high-res track.

--Nathan

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2474
baire,

At a rough guess, you may have grown accustomed to hearing the low frequencies reproduced twice, with an active sub plus large front speakers. I find Dolby Digital AC-3 (5.1) does that when my receiver decodes it (with digital input) but not when my player decodes it (that is when using 5.1 analogue out). DTS does not do it, in any case.

On my system, everything sounds better using the analogue 5.1 connections, even plain stereo CD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us