Decisions . . . Decisions

Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 1
First, I'm grateful for any advice or suggestions. Trying to decide between Paradigm Atom "package," Ascend CBM-170's, or Energey Take 5.2's. With the exception of Paradigms, have no way of auditioning the other packages locally, so would probably have to purchase "in the blind." System will be used in a 20' X 14' room (9' ceiling). Will likely power with Onkyo TX-SR700 (but open to other recommendations). Thanks again from a befuddled buyer.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 73
Walkeye:

First, that size room is way too large for the Energy package, and frankly, I also think it is too large for Paradigm Atoms. You have over 2500 cubic feet there and the little 3.25" mid/woofers of the Energy system would simply sound anemic trying to fill that much space. The Atoms are not in much better. Although they have a 5.25" mid/woofer, they only have a 5.5 liter enclosure, so they would also be very challenged by the size of the room.

I also believe the Ascends are the best speaker of that bunch, as well as the largest. Comes with a 6.5" mid/woofer which can move a lot more air than the other speakers. Also has a larger enclosure volume (7 liters, I believe), which although still very tidy, allows the woofer to develop a better bottom end. Since they are available only over the internet, you get a 30 day home trial with the right to return them, no questions asked. Check them out at home and if you don't like them, just send them back. At $328/pair, they simply don't require much of a cash outlay.

Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 2
Thanks very much for the response, and your valued input, Hawk. I am/was leaning toward the Ascends anyway. I'm a bit surprised that the Energy 5.2's might not have enough "oomph" for our den. I seem to recall one review stating they would be suitable for small to medium-sized rooms (<400 sq. ft.). Candidly, the most appealing feature of the Take 5.2's was their diminutive size. The Ascends aren't much larger, and I could audition them at home. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us