HT set up

Bronze Member
Username: Tsl90

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 35
I am putting together a 5.1 HT system. I have read some good things about the "Avia Guide to HT" DVD. Does anyone know much about it? Do you recommend it or anything similar?

How about a sound pressure level meter? Worth the investment?

Thanks

TL

Bronze Member
Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 26
WTF.... Just go listen to different equipment and listen to advice from people who've been putting together systems for awhile. If you're spending 25,000+ on a system or installing a commercial system then you may want to get a little scientific with your system. Otherwise pick what sounds good to you and is highly recommended and go from there.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1737
It depends really on how critical you are about your system. The AVIA guide is an excellent tool and you can use it to set up your system to its full potential, but again, it is your choice. Same is true about the sound meter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
If you spend less than 2000 on speakers alone, then those items would not be worth it. I could tell you a story about someone who bought a 400 HT in a box and spent the same on cables....

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 749
"Video Essentials" is another good setup disc that I highly recommend for especially the proper video calibration of yout tv and I have seen it at my local video rental store.
I think a sound level meter is absolutely a must to correctly calibarate your receiver. Many receivers include some type of auto calibibration system but I would much rather use a level meter because that way you are 100 percent sure what your speaker levels are. You can pick up a meter at Radio Shack for less than $50.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
That's it, there are more idiots on this forum than I had once thought. I'm deleting my account. Morons

Bronze Member
Username: Tsl90

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 38
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely a greenhorn at this, but like the idea of tinkering with the audio and video. I figure it would be good practice if I ever upgrade anyhow.

My TV is a Mits 55511 rear projection. Do you think the AVIA would be the best all around purchace (my understanding is it has audio and video)or is there something else you recommend?

Thanks

TL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1744
Looks like you are on the right track. Just make sure that you know how much to charge people when they call you to their homes and ask you to calibrate their system:-)
have fun!

Scotty2Hotty
Unregistered guest
Brenden did delete his acct...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1748
life goes on...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help