Speaker Package v. Bookshelf

Username: Taxman

Post Number: 7
I could use some help from those in the know.

I am researching my upcoming home theater purchase. I want a system that is good (not audiophile quality, just solid) for both music and theater in a 6.1 format in a medium-sized room. I am considering get a 5.1 speaker package and matching it with timber-matched bookshelf speakers for the fronts (for better music) since most reviews show that satellites as fronts just don't do that great for music. Also, I have seen where satellites just do not get enough wattage to justify paying more for them than you do the fronts.

Any comments from those who have tried or are considering this are appreciated.

PS - I am considering getting either Polk 6700 or Infinity TSS 450 or 750 and matching it with a pair a matching bookshelves if anyone has any input.

Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Unless you have space constraints, consider using bookshelves also for your surrounds. For a given speaker manufacturer, bookshelves often have better dynamic range and are often cheaper than satellites in the same price range.

A lot of people like the tiny satellite speakers because they are inconspicuous and they look more elegant, but if you don't mind something a little more bulky, you might look into this option.

Username: Taxman

Post Number: 11
That is a great idea, but unfortunately I can't use bookshelves for my surrounds (unless you consider the Bose 161 as full-range bookshelves - which is an option since I currently have 301s as my fronts).

The problem is that my surrounds are wired from the ceiling and will not be wedged in an inconspicuous corner, but in the middle of an open room. Thus, small is an absolute must in this particular application. I am also looking at the Athena Micra 6 system which appear popular.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us