Sub amp for bose Acoustimass 10

Username: Joppelaar

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for a little buying advice: I have a set of Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers - the set with the unamplified sub (I know, I know!). What I'm wondering is, is there a not-too expensive separate mono amp that I could buy to power the sub, to get some more bass in the system? The sound is decent, it just needs some more low, and I don't want to have to go out and get a whole new set of speakers (just yet)...

THanks a lot for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1717
A more powerful amp is not going to give you "more low" nor "more bass".

So, save your money and get better speakers.

Username: Joppelaar

Post Number: 2
Hi Berny,

Thanks for the input, but I think you may have misinterpreted my question. What I want to do is buy a mono amp specifically for the sub - in effect to turn it into a powered sub - then run signal from the sub output (pre-out) in my receiver direct to that amp. That way my receiver would be free to drive the remaining five speakers.

I don't want more power overall - I want to direct more power to the sub specifically, so the receiver isn't driving it.

cheers,
Justin

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1718
I would still recommend against it. The Bose sub also serves as a crossover point for the cubes and in turn the cubes will really not benefit nor the sub. You will still have to drive all the speakers in the subwoofer and it doesn't have a mono input. It has inputs for front center, left/right and rear left/right. A monoblock is not going work with these inputs unless you are planning on just using one input. The cubes are also running at 6 ohms and they will still tax your receiver.
By the way, what receiver are you using?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us