Component switching question

Username: Robbie1

Sterling, VA USA

Post Number: 1
I have an older Pioneer VSX-D1S A/V receiver. I have two vcr's and a DVD player hooked up to their respective inputs on the back of the receiver using rca composite A/V cables. If I connect the receiver to the TV via the same type of rca cables, I have no problem. If I try and connect the receiver to the tv using a s-video cable and also connecting the dvd player using a s-video cable I get no video signal on the tv. I know the s-video jack on the tv is good because it works if you hook the dvd player directly to the tv bypassing the receiver. I don't want to do this because if I hook the dvd directly to the tv via s-video jack, when I switch to the vcr1 or 2 I lose the video signal. Could the tv monitor s-cideo out jack on the receiver be bad?

BriaKelley
Unregistered guest
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that your receiver doesn't do composite to s-video conversion. In that case, all connections must be either all composite or all s-vid.

Username: Jules15

Post Number: 1
Bare with me, I am just starting in this area, but need help! My husband & I just purchased a Panasonic EDTV plasma to which I would like to buy him a "cost effective" surrond sound system. The problem is that we are pretty unfamilar with how to wire the things so I don't know what ins/outs to look for when I am picking one out. I'm not going to spend enough on a reciever to have high enough bandwidth & capability to do the component switching through it but have read about other component switches like JVC JX-S111.

The TV installer said we will want limited wires running through the wall & probably would only want to pull them once so the thought is pull 1 set of cables, then I would put them into a component switch which will in turn have the HDTV cable box, dvd, & x-box hooked up (& and room for future additions). But my real question is where does the reciever then get hooked up so I get surround sound from the hdtv signals, dvd, & x-box?

Thanks!

Username: Robbie1

Sterling, VA USA

Post Number: 2
You're right I'm almost sure, Brian. And as older VCRs (if any) don't have S-video inputs, I'll just have to wait til I get a new receiver.
Thanks for the reply.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 48
I would say that is exactly the problem. I ran into that setting up my receiver--all is well with DVD & PS2 going the the reciver on S-Video and VCR through composite, then receiver to TV on S-Video. I got no video to the TV with the VCR until I ran a composite video connection. I know Yamaha's literature says they up & downsample the video signals.

Julia: If I'm understanding right, you will be running a cable box, DVD, and X-box through a receiver to the TV? I would tend to quess all you need to worry about there is the video cables; probably just component video. All the rest of the connectios will be bewteen the other boxes and the receiver. Speakers are a seprate set of cables.

Username: Jules15

Post Number: 3
Chris: I actually didn't want to run them through the reciever because I was told that although alot of recievers are now touting the capability of component switching, only the real high end ones have the bandwidth to do it with any quality. My issue is how to connect it all now w/o pulling 3 sets of wires through the wall to my mounted plasma.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us