Onkyo HT-S755DVC Home theater in a Box

Anonymous
My wife and I are looking around right now and tying to find a nice entry level home theater system that will last us for a while. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be hooking this system up to a new Plasma HDTV for a while, but I'm looking for something that will get un into the realm of home theater. We've done some looking and have found the Onkyo HT-S755DVC to be rated pretty good, but I was wondering what some of your experience is with this system. To break it down into the various components it comes with the Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver, the DV-CP500 DVD player, and the S500 speakers. If any of you have any advice I would greatly appreciate the input as to whether I'm looking in the right place, or should look at some other brands (ie Denon, Infinity, HK etc). I've got about $1100 to spend.

Shawn
I just placed an order for 755 and will receive it in about a week. Just want to let eveyone know that the best deal right now is at Soundcity.com $910 ($40 shipping cost is included). This is going to be my first HT and wanted a good system that will last for awhile. I based my purchase on Onkyo's reputation and positive reviews on the Internet. I'm keeping my figures crossed hoping that this will be a good purchase.

Since this is my first HT purchase I have a very very limited knowledge of the cables needed for connection. I don't have a HDTV yet. First, what cables are absolutely needed? Second, what brand would you suggest since I've read that quality of cables makes a big difference?

Anonymous
I would go to Walmart and purchase the Monster Home Theater Cable Kit 200.

Hi;

You will find a better price for that system here:
http://www.audiosound.com/onhtdighomth.html

JackZ
Shawn, how is your new Sytem working out?

Robert Wagner
Matt:

Thanks for the better price info. Also - found yet a better price at

Top-100-Electronics.com

Bob

Bryan
Something to keep in mind when you find all these great prices. The Onkyo warranty is NOT valid unless you purchase from an authorized dealer. Audio Sound and Top 100 Electronics are not authorized dealers so there's no way to be sure that you're getting new equipment (e.g., refurbished). Plus, it will not be covered by warranty.

How do you find out who is an authorized dealer?

OnkyoOwner
A web dealer who is Onkyo authorized will list this info on their website. Also, you can go to the OnkyoUSA web page for a list of authorized dealers
Some of the authorized online dealers include Vanns.com, bestpriceaudiovideo.com, & soundcity.com

Sammy M
Does anyone know what cables to get?
I'm getting the Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver at bestpriceaudiovideo.com for $419, the Onkyo SKS-HT500 speakers at leesvideo.com for $266 (including shipping). It will be 6.1 system but I'll get the sixth speaker later. Both dealer are authorized Onkyo dealer.
I spent alot of time researching these components, both on performance and price. But what I'm unclear about is what type of speaker wires to get that will be best suited for this set up. If anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

OnkyoOwner
For speaker wires, get 16 gauge--you can buy wire by the foot at Home Depot or get 100 foot spools at Target, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc.
Upgrade the subwoofer cable with a better quality
such as Radio Shack Gold series or Acoutsic Research (Best Buy). You can get other Radio Shack Gold or AR cable if needed/
Of course, you can always spend a couple hundred dollars and buy Monster brand--but you most likely won't hear any difference.

GregW
Lowe's has a 100' roll of 12 gauge speaker wire for like $25. A steal! They sell the same gauge off the roll if more or less is needed.

Thanks for the info on the cable and speaker wire OnkyoOwner and GregW. It seems that Monster has a monopoly at the bestbuy and circuitcity and tweeter outlets. What a ripoof! Anyway, thanks. Brian

W. Arndt
Just bought the Onkyo HT-S755 DVC thru J&R (www.jandr.com)who is an ONKYO AUTHORIZED DEALER, for 879.00 delivered, NY to San Diego. You will probably be able to work out an even better deal if you don't have to ship completely across the country as I did.(My shipping alone was 103.00) Clint at extension 1058 was extremely helpful. Should arrive in a week !!!

Anonymous
Just checked with J&R and got a price of $849.00 including free shipping but product back ordered until end of April.

Anonymous
This is a wonderful receiver mated to very competent speakers and a terrific subwoofer. It's relatively easy to set up, and sounds terrific over all.

Unfortunately, some of these receivers seem to have a bug such that the Dolby Digital Low Frequency Effects channel (the ".1" of "5.1") is not output to the subwoofer. You might not notice because in the usual subwoofer mode, bass from the other channels is fed to the subwoofer, and sounds satisfactory if you don't know any better. But if you listen to the ship passing overhead in Attack of the Clones on one of the affected units after hearing it on a good Dolby 5.1 system, you'll know immediately that something's messed up. If you have not heard the scene on a system that outputs proper LFE, you might not notice.

Given that the system should probably sell for $800-1000 with 5.1 sound, you may decide that $500 for 5.0 is OK. Or you may get one without the bug. Who knows? I exchanged mine and got a second one with the bug.

This system should be sold as Dolby 5.0 and not 5.1 because it isn't.

Anonymous
Would you suggest having the dealer test the output? Obviously, this is only a viable option if you're visiting a local showroom.

W. Arndt
"Anonymous" is talking about the WRONG receiver. The one with the DFE problem comes with the HT-S655DVC system. THIS FORUM IS FOR THE HT-755 DVC SYSTEM !!!!. THIS RECEIVER IS 6.1 NOT 5.1 !!! Lets keep it straight people. If you have a beef about the HT-DV650 or 655 system, or in particular the HTR-500 receiver, please stay in the correct forum. I have NOT heard of any problems regarding the newer and upgraded TX-SR600 receiver that comes with the HT-S755DVC system.

Drew Lenze
I was interested in buying the HT-S755DVC, but as I looked around the web, I was having trouble finding ANYONE who was actually selling it. Finally today, I called Onkyo and found out that this system has been discontinued. This seems pretty quick for a package that was only announced last July and only available last September, so maybe there's some kind of technical problem.

Onkyo did say that they'll be announcing a replacement model in the near future, possibly in the next month.

Anonymous
Yeah... how weird. It's not even available on shoponkyo anymore.

Anonymous
I called around for the HT-S755DVC earlier this month and was told by some vendors that it was just discontinued and a new model will be coming out in a month or two. I asked for details, but they didn't have any. (then the pitch started for other systems....I'm waiting to see the new product)

i just got an e-mail from onkyo about the replacement for the 755. the hts 767c. does anyone have any info on this yet

Anonymous
Give this site a look:

http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/hts03.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us