Is My Cable Company Messing with Me?

Username: Optical

Post Number: 1
<lol> From reading the posts here I suppose the answer is probably yes...

Anyway, this is my question: I recently purchased a 27" HD-ready Sony Vega and an Onkyo AV receiver. I don't want HDTV right now, but I do want DD5.1 when I can get it. My set top box doesn't have digital outs in any flavor (optical or coax, only RCA composite and the RF out). After searching the archive and reading threads here I call my cable company and get bounced to a tech -- I tell him I need a box with SPDIF outs, a term he didn't know, so I said I needed a digital output, either optical or coaxial. He still doesn't know what I need, but says he'll go look, and he finds one, but says that the digital outs are capped because they don't support that service.

I say thanks and hang up -- if they don't broadcast it there's nothing I can do. BUT, I just remembered that they offer HDTV services and boxes, so doesn't that mean they MUST be sending out DD5.1 everywhere they are capable of sending HDTV?

The guy was nice, and as I was hanging up, he apologized for not knowing what SPDIF was, saying "we work on this stuff, but we don't get into it that deep." He was a nice guy and all, but I thought that was kind of poor.

Oh well. Thanks in advance.

Scotty2Hotty
Unregistered guest
What cable company do you have?

If you have Comcast, they DO have non-HD 5.1 boxes. The tech people know nothing. I would go to the comcast webpage and contact them via e-mail. This goes to the central office. If you threaten to leave, they'll give it to you.

The techs told me they don't exist but when they guys finally game out with my boxes w/ coax, the guys in the truck said they have tons of 'em in the warehouse.

If you don't have Comcast--nevermind.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us