Denon DHT-682XP vs. Onkyo HT-S650 (are you kidding me?)

Anonymous
I have had the pleasure of owning both systems (as well currently owning a $4,300 system - just so you know that I know what the he** I am talking about). There is NO comparison! Onkyo lovers take solace in the lower price points. Denon doesn't like to sell things for under MSRP.

That being said, if you have the money, the Denon is a better reciever (the speakers are adequate, not great). I would not advocate buying a HTIB if you want the best of all worlds. If you insist on buying a HTIB, you are really buying the receiver, not the speakers (most HTIB speakers will need to be upgraded). On the contrary, if you peice-meal it, spend money on the speakers, not the receiver.

Most importantly, listen for YOURSELF!!! No half-wit Onkyo lover or crazed Denon fan is going to present an argument wihtout bias. And for all of you so-called Onkyo pros should check the frequency response curves on that Onkyo reciever. Anyone thinking that the Onkyo pumps out better sound than the Denon on similar speakers, needs to get their heads examined. That isn't opinion, that is a fact! Check the spec sheets!

CAY
just cause you own a "$4300system" does not mean you know what youre talking about..just means you needlessly threw your money away..ive worked with systems setups for 18 yrs...and im here to tell you....you DO NOT need to spend that amount to get a great-sounding system..there are many factors involved in setting up a good system. Money is the last and least important. oh, by the way,,,by your standards...the guys who own $10,000 systems can tell you that YOU dont know what youre talking about..right??????? the problem with this world is not that people dont know anything, its that they "know" all the wrong facts.

Anonymous
ROFL, I've been waiting to see if anyone responded to this. Just what does the first poster mean that the Denon is better on "similar speakers"? How about the speakers that came with it? Which is better out of the box? You suggest that I need to upgrade the denon speakers to really get the equivalent (or better) sound out of the Denon. Well, if I have to buy 5 more speakers and a sub to get that Denon receiver to show its stuff, I have exceeded my budget by a fair bit. That does not mean Denon is bad, or can't sound better than Onkyo. It means that the Onkyo delivers the performance I liked at a price I could afford. If I wanted to spend $1000, I just might have gone for a denon receiver and better speakers. We are truly in a subjective area where only the listener can determine what sounds best at what price he or she wants to pay. And there are people who - gasp - believe the Onkyo receivers deliver better sound to their ears than Denon. You do not agree. Great - spend your money on what YOU think is great sound. Do not, however, insult others who do not agree with you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us