Klipsch & Denon 484 Speaker Settings

Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 2
I'm a little confused about what is best for my speakers. I have tried different settings and all achieve good results. Here is my setup:

Denon AVR-484 5.1 Receiver
CD player with optical out (HK, I'm upgrading soon)
Klipsch RF-15 Mains
Klipsch RSW-8 Sub
Klipsch Rest of the system but I'm testing 2.1 music

Now the Freq Response for my RF-15's is: 46Hz-20kHz ±3dB

In setting up the system, I can set any of the sets of speakers to LARGE or SMALL. The Denon manual states that speakers that can produce below 80Hz can be set to LARGE. My only concern is that the speakers have 2 - 5.25" Drivers and that setting them to LARGE might damage them.

Now to the listening test.

Setup: Speakers LARGE, Sub at 120Hz and below.
Analysis: Diana Krall's voice sounds much fuller but I can get some resonance or boom in the lower frequencies. No distortion even at very loud volumes, just a little too much boom. Other music like Avril Lavigne also sounds fuller but again, boom at louder volumes. At lower volumes the dynamic range is good, everything seems in balance.

Setup: Speakers LARGE, Sub at 100Hz and below.
Analysis: Diana Krall's voice seems full again due to the mains producing below 80Hz, little resonance or boom in the music. Avril Lavigne sounds good as well and no boom. Very good infliction of the voice as well.
My only concern with the 2 above setups is that I may be over driving my little 5.25" drivers. The music sounds good with no distortion, etc but I don't want to break my babies!

Setup: Speakers SMALL, Sub at 120Hz and below
Analysis: Diana Krall is much brighter but I lose the lower inflection of her voice. Lows are taken care of by the sub but it seems that I'm missing something. It's like the freq curves of the speakers aren't overlapping properly. Avril Sounds the best here because of the clarity and the many different instruments/effects aren't getting tied up in the smaller speaker. This is where a 3-way speaker might excel... Although sound is very good still; just a little brighter and you can "tell" the RF-15's are not producing below 80Hz.

When I put the speakers to Small and the Sub at 100 and below, it just isn't RIGHT so I won't consider this setup.

I know what sounds best, but what is best for my equipment? Please let me know if I've left something out that might help you to help me with the setup.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2190
Brenden,

"My only concern is that the speakers have 2 - 5.25" Drivers and that setting them to LARGE might damage them. "

No, don't worry. "Small" speakers just do not have long bass exntension; they ignore it.

Everything in your test depends on the source, whether it is DTS or Dolby AC-3. Or DVd-A.

Please take a look at the thread

DTS vs. Dolby Digital. The subwoofer.

Active subs are for special effects. No female voice goes below about 100 Hz; no male voice below about 65 Hz (also the lowest note on a cello). The lowest note on a bass guitar is about 44 Hz, if I recall. Subs are for thuderstorms and collapsing buildings, not music, unless you have very small mains, which you do not.

Active subs came into home cinema to allow deep bass with small speakers at the lowest cost. When you use good speakers, like yours, they need treating with care and restraint. Unfortunately, many DVDs are not mastered on the same way. There is really only any point in having an active sub in 5.1, in my opinion, which is where the recording has something special (very deep sounds) on the ".1" or LFE channel.

Post Number: 6
After reading your post, I listened to some more CD's: Vocals, Jazz, Acoustic Guitar and to me it seems like the sub adds a little bit of depth to the setup. The 5.25" speakers don't have the fullness that the sub mixes in. I listened very carefully with the sub and without. Now the sub isn't overpowering in standard music but it adds a little more depth to the music. I have the crossover on the sub set to 100Hz and this seems to merry up quite well with my setup. You should come across the pond and listen for yourself :-)

my 2 cents.
B

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2300
Thanks, Brenden!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I hope that I didn't offend you with the previous post. I think HT and Audio is about what sounds best to you, and showing it off to people that buy $199 Home theatres in a box...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us