Having trouble with home theater system audio

Anonymous

Hello:
I just purchased the Sony HT-DDW750 home theater system and I'm having some trouble with it.
There is hardly any volume from 1 to 30 - while 30 to 40 being just audible - nice sound 40 up... I have checked the connections and tried
with the settings with no result. This seems to happen just with DOLBY DIGITAL. DTS sounds great. I've setup my DVD player to play Dolby Digital and DTS and have fooled around with A.F.D settings. Is this common in most home-theater-in-a-box systems. I like the quality of the system but cannot
explain why there is no audible output in the whole lower half of the volume
spectrum. I am using a digital coaxial connection from my DVD player to the
receiver. Please help!

Bronze Member
Username: James_s

Post Number: 17
the problem may be with your dolby digital scrambler in wither your receiver, or your dvd palyer, try listening to a tape, cd, etc on a dolby digital setting, if the sound is barely audible it will be your receiver, if not, your dvd player, whatever the case take it back to the place of purchase and let them know that you're having problems with it, they will either fix it, or give you a new one. Hope this helps

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a SONY HT6600DP (home theater in a box) and I'm having a similar problem as described above (very low speaker vol - vol turned up to "VOL 35" to even hear anything)... I returned one receiver and after the second one had the same problem I figured it was some quirk with the default setup. It seems to be the default "level" of each speaker... when increasing this level option I'm able to get the speaker volume more in line with what I think is normal... Is this unusal or something that is common with these systems?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 993
where does your sony max out?

Anonymous

I have a Marantz receiver that has a volume range of -72dB to +16dB. Anything below -40dB is very quiet (roughly below half of the volume range). Other brands (such as Sony) don't display the actual decibel output which is annoying to troubleshoot a problem such as this. If both problems mean there is no sound below 30-40 then this would be a problem but if it's just very quiet then I wouldn't think it was a problem at all (in my case, I wouldn't listen to anything below -35dB since it's too quiet).

Remember: different devices have different output levels. In my case, I'd watch a DVD at -10dB and TV around -25dB. Therefore if you think a DVD sounds quiet when comparing to television (or CD, or tape deck, etc), then there's nothing to worry about since each device differs in level output.

Hope this helps in any way :-)

Unregistered guest
What is the "life expectancy" for a home theater system? Is it possible for these systems to"go bad?" I have had a home theatre system for about 10 years and am now getting a "thumping" sound from the SubWoofer. What could be causing this?

Username: Bashirokx

Mexico City, DF MEX

Post Number: 1
I have a Pioneer HTD-530DV, I just set it up in a 160 sq. feet room, I'm having trouble configurating the decibel output for the front and surround speakers, is there like a standard way to configure the speakers?

Thank you,
Manuel
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us