Very low sound output from Onkyo HTS 650 rear speaker, Help!!!

dave
Hi, I just received the Onkyo HT650 from Circut City yesterday. I think the sound coming out of the rear speakers are very low. I believe its only 1/5 of the output of the front speakers. I did managed to get the monster cable for Speakers, Sub, VHS, Dvd and one optical cable for my computer. They are pretty expensive. I took the advice from this board and..didn't even bother opening the included cable. It did cost me addtional 250 bucks for 5 cables though.

Anyway, My main concern is that there is no way that rear speakers are producing 100 watt output as they advertised. I can bearly hear them. I have klipsch Promedia 4.1 speakers for my computer and the rear speakers are infact producing even more sound than the front speakers. If anyone has suggestion to setup the rear speakers output to get more sound, please let me know. Thank you very much.

Anonymous
Did you calibrate the rear speakers, even using the tone on the receiver? Set the distances correctly per the manual? Everything hooked up correctly? My rear surrounds are not that loud - until they need to be. DD/DTS is awesome as is DPLII. On all channel stereo they work fine.

Dave
Can you give me any tip on setting up the rear speakers? Thank you.

Anonymous
Umm, you have to go into the manual. It explains how to set the delay, and how to set the sound level of each speaker using a test tone on the receiver. You may also have keyed in a two channel mode, or the "b" speaker button, where there is NO sound coming out of the surrounds on purpose. The "all channel stereo" dsp does put music/dialogue out of the surrounds at a good level. Read the manual. The real pros use an spl meter you can get at radio shack to adjust the sound levels. And laser pointers on the speakers to make sure they are pointed correctly. (I am NOT a real pro. :) ) I have my surrounds mounted about 6' up on the wall and about 1' behind my listening position, pointed at each other. Im STILL reading the manual from time to time to figure something out. It is not that complicated, I just don't have a lot of time to play with it. :)

Dave
Thank you for some info. What about my comment on the rear speaker producing low sound. Is it even possible to putout 100 watt from rear speakers?

Dave
I got some news about the rear speakers, last night i bought couple of audio cables and hook it between computer extrnal box and receiver. The sound coming out from computer is much louder than the regular dvd or vcd player.

Shaun
Dave,
Did you find a solution to the rear speaker problem ? I am facing the exact same problem with my system. Everything is connected as specified in the manual, but the output is hardly audible from the rear speakers :(

Anonymous
I'll have to check my surrounds this weekend. Since I use my system primarily for movies, I'm more interested in the sound effect, than whether it is loud on a constant basis. My surrounds DO kick in very nicely on sound effects (the pod race from phantom menace, the various scenes in LOTR). When I do listen to music and set it at "all channel stereo", the surrounds do come in on a continuous basis and sound nice, to me. At a guess, though, I would definitely say they are not kicking at 100W.

Anonymous
Just checked the rear surrounds on both LOTR and music - they sounded fine. Not too low at all. What type of cables are you using from dvd to receiver and then to the speakers? I upgraded all cables.

Shaun
Ive connected DVD to receiever with optical cable for audio and monster SVideo for video, but used the speaker wires that came with it. The thing is that the front and the center spearkers sound just fine with the onkyo speaker wires, but the rear ones do not. Also, they kick in a bit when I play a music CD.

Anonymous
Hmm, I'm not sure. How long are the rear speaker runs? I'm using 16 gauge monster for all speakers (wish I had learned about Home Depot earlier, would have saved a bit) and they sound good. The longer the run, the better wire you need. I ran it through the walls during construction and used about 25 feet per rear speaker. The rears are not loud during movies, unless it is called for. In LOTR, during the Shire scene, I can just hear birds etc. on the rears - but it IS effective. During the bridge at Khazad Dum, however, they are rocking. And I can clearly hear the arrows whizzing by my head. They do seem to be more directional than the fronts, however, so it definitely depends on where I'm sitting as to how they sound. That's why they are only 1' behind my listening spot and about 7 feet to each side. If you have them facing away from you or have them 5-6 feet behind you, I could see where they may not be as effective. Or, you could have a problem with the receiver or speakers. Sorry, I'm not an expert, but I do have this system and it does work fine for me.

Rog
Check the settings on your DVD. I had the same problem setting up mine. The rears were only putting out abit of quiet reverb, but once I fixed up the settings on the DVD (like digital output etc), everything sounds great.

Dave
Hey, I found the problem. I have adjust the rear speaker out put +5 in the setting and reduce the front speakers by -3. There is a key in remote that said Ch up or something. By using the key you could adjust individual speaker output. I am happy with the system. I got to tell ya though before I bought the system that I have really high hope for these but its not that GOOD. Then again I can't expect relly good sound from 500 bucks entry level speakers. I did end up upgrading the monster cables for 270 bucks. I was hoping that i could comepte with my friends' speakers which he bought 10 years ago and still not able to compete. He has 2 infinity speakers, paradigm sub and some old yamaha receiver, and equalizer which he paid for around 2300 bucks. I was hoping Onkyo will top the 10 years old unit but i was wrong. See I have been hearing his unit for so long that when I heard my onkyo speakers for the first time...it did not impress me at all.

Anonymous
Hello- I work for Circuit City, and the onk 650 is a good start for a system. The best part is the receiver. The speakers are just ok. If you are looking for a better sound I would return the 650 and get the onkyo txsr500 with some infinity alpha 20 speakers, and a vai cht10 sub. You will like the sound of this system.

Anonymous
If you complain to Onkyo enough they will send you upgraded color coded wires (16 gauge) at no charge.

Anonymous
I have a 1993 Ford Probe GT. My radio & CD is playing, but I can't hear a thing. My equalizer is just jumping like it is surpose to do, but I don't hear a thing. Do I need a new Headunit? The clock on it works fine. This is a compact unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us