DVD sound level really low

JonD
Unregistered guest
I just hooked up my DVD player (relatively new SONY model with DD and DTS) via a digital coax to a NAD T753 A/V receiver.

the sound level is really, really low, though. i played Gladiator and had to turn up the volume almost to 0db on the NAD (normal music listening is around -25db). even maxed out at +6db it was loud, but not what i expected.

the problem seems to be just with the digital out (i tried optical, too, same result) on the DVD because the analog out is louder (but no DD/DTS).

is this normal? is Gladiator just a really quiet DVD? do i need a more powerful receiver? is the problem with the DVD?

thanks for the help....

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 695
What you are experiencing is not abnormal. Dvd's have a much more information to decode and a larger dynamic range thus it takes more power to produce sound levels equal to say a cd. Zero on your volume is the setting that THX says is equal to a movie theater. Just turn it up and enjoy.

JonD
Unregistered guest
i don't know. that seems kind of lame. i would have figured the 70wpc NAD753 could really crank through my efficient Klipsch bookshelf fronts for DVD. should i return the 753 for the 763 or just live with a maxed out amp?

it doesn't make sense to me that the signal level would be so low just because the DVD is transmitting a lot of data - it's just 1's and 0's after all.

johnm
Unregistered guest
No, it's not normal. Especially since your analog is giving you a nice normal signal.
Look through your DVD player manual to see if there is any setting that needs to be adjusted (via on-screen menus) to set for a digital output.
Check your receiver also and make sure the DTS emblem lights up when you play this movie.
And also make sure you choose DTS off your Gladiator DVD audio options menu.

JonD
Unregistered guest
ok. thanks. i've looked through the DVD manual and think i've got the settings ok. and i got the DD and DTS signals to light up on the receiver.

so i will check the Gladiator CD options tonight.

thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 696
What I told you is the absolute truth and is not lame. If you don't believe it pick up a audio magazine or write to Ian Masters at Sound & Vision and he'll tell you the same thing. Maybe in your case there is something else wrong and do check it out and I wish you luck but my point is correct. Check it out.

JonD
Unregistered guest
ok. thanks. i didn't mean to say that your comment was lame. i was only saying that if what you were saying was true, then digital coax/surround sound technology in general is lame.

sorry for the confusion. i appreciate the help as always.

thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 697
Thanks Jon. What you will find in real world use is that you will have to turn up dvds to a much lower number[higher volume] than cd's or tv etc. In my case with my Elite vsx45 for cds I am usually between -18 and -24. For dvds, especially action films like Master and Commander for example I am at -8 to -6 or so. This holds true for any receiver. It does seem like you might have a some kind of problem because a NAD has among the best power supplies in the business and your setting should be about what mine are or higher. Again, good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us