Debating which receiver to get.

Username: 4biddendonut

Post Number: 1
Hi everybody,

New to the board and I am in the market for a new HT receiver and have it narrowed down to a few choices (Pioneer 56Txi and 59Txi, Arcam AVR300, Denon 3805 and Rotel RSX1067). I've listened to all but I am no audiophile. I detected very slight differences among these units except for the Arcam. It seemed much more musical than the others. But I only listen to music maybe 25% of the time, HT the remainder.

My room is 18x22 with 10' ceilings. Acoustics in my room has always been a problem as I have 3 large openings into other rooms in the house. All 3 openings are under and to the sides of my right rear channel speaker.
Part of the reason I am kind of leaning towards the Pioneer or Denon units is their auto-setup programs. I also like the Pioneer units as they have the firewire connection which I could hook up to my DVD player.
Can anyone offer their recommendations about which receiver they would go with?

Here is the remainder of my system if you need it:
Pioneer Elite Pro 520HD (RPTV)
Pioneer Elite DV47ai (DVD)
Mcintosh MC 7300 (2x300WPC amp)
Hughes HD Satelite Receiver
Yamaha E-492 (to be replaced)
Mirage M3si (mains)
Mirage OM-C2 (center)
Mirage OM-R2 (rears)
Mirage BPS-150 (sub)

If one of the Pioneer units is your recommendation, my debate is then to either get the 56Txi and a nice AC protection/regeneration unit or get the 59Txi which is at least $1500 more. Any recommendations on a nice AC protection/regeneration product would also be greatly appreciated. Around $500-$750 if possible.

Thanks!!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1569
I love the 59txi with the sweet remote:-)
For power protection, check out Richard Gray Power company products. Have fun, you look like you already know what you want, which makes it a bit simpler.
cheers

Username: 4biddendonut

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the response, Berny. I am sort of leaning towards the Pioneer units and you are right, the remote with the 59Txi is really cool.

I guess my hesitancy lies with my belief (maybe unfounded) that the Pioneer Elite receiver line was more glitz than guts and performance. Maybe I am wrong there.

Regarding power protection, do you (or anyone else) have any advice on PS Audio? I was thinking about picking up 2 of their "Ultimate Outlets" which seem reasonable in price. Would 2 of these be enough for all the equipment I have or would I be better off getting something different. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1576
Can't say that I have experience with PS Audio. I use APC 1400s for my power regulation:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 35
When I buy a receiver, I match it to the speakers in which I am using it with. For example, Klipsch speakers are VERY bright speakers and I beleive that Denon receivers are an excellent fit with klipsch speakers. There are other speakrs that are very bland and Onkyo receivers brighten them up a bit. It's all about how you like your HT to sound. I love my Denon. And about the remote, buy a Phillips Proto touch screen--that's a sweet remote.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us