I am looking for some help with my kenwood reciever

Username: Schalicto

Post Number: 1
I have had a nice kenwood for several years but I have never taken the time to learn how to use it. The only options I have had avb to me have been virtual suround, stereo and Pro Logic, but I know it can do DTS and I have never been given that listening option. In my research I have figured out that to have that option it needs to be connected to a digical source like a dvd player, but I have always done that! I only connect using RCA and I think that might be the problem, but my owners manual doesn't say anything about it needing to be optical or anything, it just says it needs to be a "digial source like a dvd player". If I could get some clarification that would be great. Thanks for you help and knowledge.

Josh

HT Help
Unregistered guest
You might need a Digital Coaxial cable or a Digital Optical cable. Digital coaxial might be a better choice.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1526
Do you still have the manual?
What model Kenwood is it?

Post Number: 2
Yeah, I still have the manual, but as I said in my post, it is really quite vauge about it all. It is a Kenwood VR307.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1539
If it is capable of DTS decoding, it is usually
printed on the front panel.
Does it have digital inputs? Optical or coaxial? Do you have the speakers necessary for this setup?

Look at the back panel and check if the "A Speaker" outputs have front left, front right, center, surround left and surround right, you should also have a subwoofer output.

Post Number: 3
I have a full 5.1 speaker setup. left, right, suround, center and sub. I do have optical and coaxial ins which I have never used.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1567
Well, there you go. Hook up a digital coaxial cable or an optical cable from the DVD player into one of the digital inputs of the receiver. Go to the set-up menu of the DVD player and configure it to put out dolby digital and DTS signals. Set your reciver to auto detect and you are set.
Oh, and don't forget to hook up all 5.1 speakers.

Post Number: 4
right on, just one question, is a digital coaxial cable different from just a standard RCA?

Josh

Gold Member

Post Number: 1596
yes, different construction and shielding.

Bronze Member
Username: Forcedinduction

Post Number: 48
Josh, there is no need to buy an expensive "digital" coax cable. Just use a standard RCA cable. Everyone thinks you need an expensive cable for the digital signal and you DO NOT.

Berny is partially correct. They do make digital cables that have different construction and shileding but it's not necessary!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us