Setup Difficulty - Onkyo TX-SR502 TX-SR502B TX-SR502S

Unregistered guest
Over the course of the last 18 hours, I have managed to set up
a new Onkyo TX-SR502S with a set of Onkyo HT-SR520S speakers.
I am down to two problems. I am hoping that the collective
brain can assist.

(1) My DVD is connected to the Receiver using S-VIDEO and
Digital/Optical connectors. My Receiver is connected to
my TV using S-VIDEO. I can play DVDs just fine, display
on my Television, and hear 6.1 surround sound quite nicely.

My (somewhat old) VCR is connected to the Receiver using
standard RCA A/V connectors, good old yellow/red/white
connectors. For those knowledgeable about the SR502, the
VCR is connected to the VIDEO-1 connector.

Problem: When I switch my Receiver to VIDEO-1/VCR, audio is
successfully played on the 6.1 speakers, but the Television
does not display a picture. I can switch my receiver to DVD
and see/hear a DVD movie. I can connect the VCR video directly
to the Television and see the movie.

(2) I have a Philips 793C DVD player. I have been able to succesfully
program my remote control to handle my Sony 36" TV, and my old
VCR. None of the 3 codes in the manual for Philips DVD (5002, 5021,
5028) seems to work for my DVD player. I've 'Googled', looking
for alternate codes, and visited the Onkyo website. No Joy.

Any ideas/suggestions would be very welcome.

P.S. Before anyone makes the recommendation, I plan to replace the speaker wires that came with the unit.

Gina2004
Unregistered guest
To your first inquiry, the 502 does not do upconversion. Which means you either have to run red/white/yellow directly to your tv. Or on the back of the reciever where you have the s-video, there should also be analog connection (yellow for video) above or below it. Run that to the tv. You should be good to go!!! Good luck!

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply. I actually sent a message to Onkyo, and interpreting their reply, it would appear that the TX-SR502 does not do any conversions, UP or DOWN. Not a problem for me, since I thought I was just buying a pretty good 6.1 surround anyway. When I found out that I could connect my video equipment up to the back, it was an added benefit.

As for the composite connector (yellow), I actually did that, but I had to connect it to another input bank on my TV. In order to switch from DVD to VCR using the receiver, I have to use the remote control to switch inputs on the receiver, then remote control the TV to switch between S-VIDEO and composite input.

My TV supports 4 input sets, and allows me to select inputs using the remote. The smartest thing for me to do is connect my DVD to my TV using Component Video (what I had before), connect my VCR composite video to the TV, run all of my sound through the SR502.

TX-SR502 seems to be able to operate as your master video switch if all of your inputs and outputs are the same, all COMPONENT, all S-VIDEO, or all composite. Otherwise, you need to know what you are doing, have lots of inputs into your TV, and have a few extra cables laying around.

P.S. The first DVD I watched with this unit was 'The Usual Suspects' with Kevin Spacey. The TX-SR502 did a fine job with the explosions and firefights in the movie, even with the skinny little speaker wires that came with my SKS-HT520's. Next I'll try it out with TOP GUN, or one of the Star Wars movies. Then I'll try to find one of those CD's with low volume breaking glass to see how low it can go.

Unregistered guest
I may as well answer my own second question in case some other person goes 'Googling' to find an answer. The remote that comes with the TX-SR502B is the RC-567M. The code that works 'best' with the Philips 793C DVD Player is 5028. It only allows Power ON/OFF, Play, Stop, Pause, Skip. It does not seem to allow EJECT, DISC SKIP, etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 36
Thanks for the info on the remote. I have the same unit. The receiver did a great job with Thin Red Line as well if you can endure the movie.

Unregistered guest
Two notes on the remote. (1) When I programmed the codes for the VCR and TV, I got instant gratification. Immediately after entering the last digit of the CODEs I pressed POWER and the appropriate unit turned on immediately. After entering the CODEs for the DVD, nothing would happen when I hit the POWER button. If you read the instructions in the manual carefully, they state that you should hit the device button, in this case DVD after entering the last digit of the CODE. (2) For some reason, it actually took a second or two after pressing a button for my DVD to respond. The first button that actually worked for me was PLAY. After a few tries the DVD player would respond more promptly to the remote. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it happened. I pushed POWER next, and the unit powered off after a second.

LESSONs: Follow the instructions carefully. Give it a few seconds. I'm not used to delayed gratification from my electronics, but in this case everything worked out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us