Best Speaker Package for 3 grand

Anonymous
I have been looking all over for a definitive answer on where best to spend my speaker money. I have looked and/or listened to b&w, paradigm, rbh, axiom, klipsch, etc. When I think I have made my decision. I find a conflicting review. Or, a review that says something else is just a little better.
Any help? What is the best speaker package out there for around 3 grand?

Audiobugged
Hello Anonymous,

Well as a 15 year long B&W Bowers & Wilkins junkie, I am using a CDM series 5 channel set-up with a Rel Strata III. Yet that isn't gonna fall into your budget, so I just found a grand speaker from a company that I never gave a second look. Budget Audiophiles - "NOW HEAR THIS" NHT SB-3 bookshelf monitors where selected for my 2 channel second system after reading the Nov/02 Stereophile review. I had auditioned a pair of Triangle Titus 202's for a few months & wasn't impressed. The SB-3 sounded really great right out of the box, without any major break-in period. I have never given a opinion on a speaker this early in the race, yet they are mind blowing with any type of music I have feed them! My Cdm-9nt fronts where to only require a 15-50 hour span, yet didn't really shine until they hit the 500 hour mark. So I can honestly state that for the price the NHT SB-3's are gonna stay around for some time!!! Response down to 39 khz (Impressive for a bookshelf design), very involving & non-fatiguing right outta the box, fit & finish is superb at this price level! Will handle a 175 WPC as I am driving them with a B&K 140 WPC ST-2140 (Sweet Amp). The look like little Merlin monitors & would probably give them a run for their money! I owned a pair of Paradigm Studio-20/40's for a while, the speakers are gone. Yet the Premier J-50/60 Stands are very solid, attractive & a perfect fit for the NHT's. I'd go with the J-50 as you will need to get the SB-3's atleast 24" of headroom! As the tweeter is located below the Bass driver, like the good ole' Boston Acoustics Lynnfield 400/500's. $3000 budget, Hum? List Price of $600.00 a pair for the SB-3's x 2 fronts & rears, center (price unresearched, possible $300 +/-) Premier Stands $170-180 a pair list. If we can squeeze the budget, mix in a Rel Q-150 subwoofer $1200.00 list which will underpin the low end down to 20. Audition the NHT's & see, very sweet for both Music & H/T. Enjoy the Music!

Anonymous
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I spent the day in a couple of local audiophile shops. I tried out Paradigm Monitor 11's, Energy C9's and C7's, Klipsch RF-3II's and Mirage. Initially, I was drawn to the Klipsch setup. I liked the 'feel' they produced with a dvd. However, I really was not impressed with their lack of clarity. Especially, after listening to music though the Energy's, Paradigm's, and Mirage. I liked the sound of the Mirage, but thought they were ugly speakers and the sound was kind of flat, no color, no real character.
We stared with the Energy C7's. For the first time I really heard 'imagery'(I think this is the term). We only had two C7's on, and I would have bet the bank the center speaker was hooked up. We then went on to test drive the Energy C9's and Paradgim Monitor 11's. I listened for hours, to movie's, to dvd's, back to movies, and back to dvd's. I just could not decide which I liked best.
I thought the Paradigm's were a bit on the dark side and the Energy's on the bright side.
I think I could toss a coin between the two setup's and be very happy with the outcome.
Anyway, the setup's I am considering.
Paradigm - Monitor 11's, CC-370, ADP-370's, and PW-2200 Sub(this sub is really nice).
or
Energy - C9's, C-R3's, C-C1, and PW-2200.

Receivers:
Denon 3803
or
Integra DTR 7.2
or
Marantz SR7300

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Audiobugged
Some of the statements that I will make are personal opinions from past experiences. I would shy away from the Klipsch's as I feel they are not able to be driven hard. I actually saw a pair of fronts 4 years ago at a friends listening room smolder & smoke after a extended moderate/high level listen section. Scary as it wasn't the amp that clipped! I think they rate their max power rating as a pair instead of each speaker? Speaker ratings are generally meaningless, as I have heard 200 watt speakers shine with 600 watts of juice as long as not overdriven. Mirage & Energy are the same company! My cousin is a major Mirage Freak, yet multi-directional speakers have their own following & aren't for everyone. As they are very picky as far as placement. Energy & Paradigm make a grand speaker since where down to just 2 manufacturers. I would opt for the Paradigm's, yet their customer service/support is awful! I find Manufacturer support to be a important aspect when questions occur, past the inital sale! The following speaker companys that are awesome are B&W, Boston Acoustics, NHT, Rel (Sumika).

As far as your Reciever delema one word - DENON, DENON, DENON, alright I got a little excited. Marantz & Denon have just merged, so I'm not sure what these two companies will produce as a joint-venture. Onkyo/Integra recievers can not hold their own against the denon line. Integra is heads above any Sony ES (elevated standard) line, but not by far. I'm not familiar with the changes between the AVR-3802 & the AVR-3803? Since it looks like you are working towards a 5 not 7 channel set-up I would possibly try to locate a new in the box or mint discontinued AVR-4800 which falls into your reciever budget. To date only 4 major movie production studios have released 6.1 DTS-ES Dvd's
Se7en, Gladiator, Blade II, The Haunting. The 4800 is a totally different animal as it has a HI-FI sound not the general mid-fi associated with A/V recievers. For music it will bring upon a smile! I feel you may want to spend more time auditioning the speakers you are finalizing on with more of your favorate CD's. As Music will be the only factor in determaning if you got the best Bang for your $3000.00 Bucks! Any speaker can reproduce the Bang type depth charges from a Dvd such as U-571.

Anonymous
I have, for the most part, ruled out the Klipsch. The more I listened to them, really the more I listened to other brands, the less I liked the Klipsch.
I do want to have the option of 6.1 in the future. I believe, all the receiver's I test drove had that capability. The Marantz did not offer THX. Not sure all the differences between the 3802 and 3803. I know the Integra doesn't have the name recognition the Denon has, but I have read a lot of people are happy with the Onkyo's, and the Integra is the next step up from that. Kind of like how Lexus came to be.
My dealer told me about Mirage/Energy being the same company, and about the Marantz/Denon merger.
He said it was too soon to know what will come out of the merger.
As far as customer support from the manufacturer. I have confidence that my dealer will be my main source for support, but it is good to know Paradigm can be difficult.
I just keep going back and forth between the Paradigm's and the Energy's. Replaying in my mind the sound, looking at the pictures in their brochures, and reading over the spec's.
At times, I thought the Pardigm fronts were a bit more precise than the Energy's, then I would enjoy the soundstage and crispness of the Energy's. Loved the Paradigm sub. Really liked the 'bi-polar/di-polar switch' on the Energy rears. Thought the centers were equal.
I was not doing this based on price, but they are so close, I was hoping some price break might help me make up my mind, but they are priced the same.
I just don't want to get down the road a few months and find I could have twice the system for far less money. I don't think that will happen, but it is my biggest fear in this whole thing.

Audiobugged
I can understand your fears as $3000.00 is no chump change as you don't wanna run across some $1000.00 H/T in a box system 6 months down the road that smokes the system you selected. I was doing a 7.1 Boston Acoustic set-up with my Avr-4800 & a Poa-5200 2 channel amp. After upgrading to the B&W Cdm9nt fronts, Cdm1nt rears, Cdmcnt center, along with a Rel Strata III, I had to down grade the system to 5.1 for budget reasons. I did however pick up a 2nd Poa-5200 & am now Bi-amping my fronts & just using the Avr-4800 for a preamp for 2 ch. listening. The THX feature on the amps is great as I find myself enjoying watching most movies in this mode. However hopping on the hole THX bandwagon Certified Cables, Speakers, Etc..... Is Crazy as even Lucas himself isn't using THX certified speakers in his Skywalker ranch recording studio. Marantz has offered the HDCD chips in their receivers which I found to be a neat feature which I hoped others would offer. Denon uses the aplha 24 system which helps PCM sound smoother less digital & more analog. The Denon also offers 5/7 ch stereo so you can fire up all speakers with standard 2 ch software. So it should be an interesting merger. I did see that Austin Powers III - Goldmember will be released in 6.1dts-es on 12/3. So that sould be a treat as more 6.1 releases appear.

Anonymous
Exactly, if 6 months from now a HTIB comes along for a grand or so, and blows my doors off. I will be SICK! Especially when I think, this thing all started with my looking at a $1200 Onkyo HTIB to replace my aging BOSE. Now, I am at 4 grand and counting...
That is why it has been nice finding this message board. There are not a lot of people out there that understand this bug we have.

Audiobugged
Getting back to my initial response, you still owe it to yourself to audition the NHT Super Audio series. It's worth even having to take an hour ride to find an authorized dealer just to listen. NHT offers a lot of bang for the buck at an very reasonable asking price. Champagne sound for a beer budget! I am lucky to be surrounded by dealers with wonderful 30 day return policies. So if something comes along that after reading a review that I find myself wanting to possibly upgrade to or just play with for 29 days, if the bug arrives I often do. I have owned Paradigm speakers, & listened extensively to Energy's. I wouldn't have taken the time initally to respond unless I felt I had run across a real "sleeper", which would make for a grand multichannel Audio & Home Theater set-up. So don't tear out the checkbook just yet until you give them a listen. As I mention earlier, I too never thought to even give NHT a look. Life a live & learn experience especially when it comes to tossing out the benjamins on equipment that will be obsolite the second you leave the threshold of the audio store door.

P.S. If you listen & like the NHT's I have a mailorder authorized dealer which I could pass on to you should your local dealer not go atleast 25% off list!

Anonymous
The B&W dealer in my area also carries NHT. I plan to visit them for another listen to the B&W's and a listen to the NHT's. The one thing that may drive me away from the NHT's is their look. The one's I have seen so far. I do not like their look, but if they sound awesome, and do not look terrible. I might be able to overcome this issue. We'll see in the next day or two.

Audiobugged
I too like a nice light wood finish such as cherry or maple, etc. NHT only offers a black high-glossy piano 7-14 coat finish. The fit & finish, even down to the grille is suberb! Listen to them with eyes wide shut, & ears wide open! You could also audition them against the B&W 600 series 3 602's & the Sb-3 will come out champ. Make sure you go in with the additude like George Forman thinking I'm not going to pay a lot for this muffler. If you are going to buy a entire package even B&W dealers whom never discount will drop 18-25% after spending 2-3 hours & feeling there gonna loose this sale after investing all this time. I refuse to pay list, the toughest was getting 11% off my Rel. I wanted the cherry upgrade for the price of the glittex black, & got it. I'll check back to see what you think after your latest audition.

Anonymous
If the three grand is just for speakers make sure you check out Definitive Technology. Their speakers sound very good for thee money. I have the pro 400 for front, a 200 15 inch sub and a clr1000 center. It sounds great. The good thing about the 400's is that they have their own subs bulit in that really sound good. Any way I like them a lot and any one who hears my set up loves them.

Good luck and have fun

Anonymous
well, i made the jump this past weekend. i decided on the paradigm setup with a denon 3803. so far, it is awesome.

B. St. John
I just got the Austin Powers Goldmember DVD (DTS-ES). After a fast forward/reverse or selecting another scene, the sound does not come back right away (meaning ten minutes or more later). Two other DTS-ES DVD's exhibit the same problem: Rush Hour 2 and Blade II. Only Gladiator works in 6.1 discrete without any problem.

My setup is as follows:
Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES
Speakers: B&W 601, 600 S3 series, ASW-1000 sub
DVD player: Sony DVP-NS700P

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Anonymous
For three grand you can build yourself a pair of
speakers that will blow away any store bought speakers you've ever heard, or ever will hear!
Madisound.com or Solen.ca can supply your driver
needs. Madisound also sells speaker builders cook-
book. I would strongly recommend building yourself
a pair of transmission line enclosures for your
bass drivers. 6 feet of internal laberinth lined
with long fiber wool( the book will explain
in greater detail). Madisound techs will help you
with driver selection. they can also design and
build you a really trick cross over that will opti-
mise the performance of what ever drivers you
select. Build separate enclosures for the higher
frequency drivers. Minimize the front surface area
on these enclosures. Morel and Scanspeak both make
some pretty impressive drivers, as well as Accuton.
Here's something to think about: If it costs a
manufacturer $3000 dollars to manufacture, package
and ship a pair of speakers, they will sell to the
retailer at one hundred percent markup, the retailer will markup another 100%. This is
champaigne on a beer budget in a nut shell. IF
you have any questions feel free to email me at
jshans52@execpc.com

Anonymous
I just purchased a Marantz SR7300, as an owner of
Audio Research equipment, I was blown away! I couldn't believe That a receiver would ever compete
with this kind of equipment, but it really comes
very close.(IF NOT EQUAL TO)

Anonymous
I am also looking at the Denon 3803, Marantz SR7300, and possibly a NAD T762. I know that both Marantz and Denon make great AV receivers, but don't know much about NAD for HT. I am thinking of paring it with some PSB speakers. They were more room filling than the paradigm, and had a very clear mid/high range. I have a set of KEF's for the rear speakers if I see the need.
I am looking to purchase the PSB 4t, 8C, and 2B set for HT and audio.

Any ideas/comments on these options would be greatly appreciated!

Check out my post @ home theater/speakers...selling B&W CDM7NT fronts, CDMNT center and LM1 rears...dark cherry...have all manuals and boxes...write for more info or interested

htinnovations

Anonymous
Actually the Skywalker Ranch is using M&K Ultra THX rated speakers - the S150THX to be specific. These are the most often selected speakers for some of the finest production studios in the world. Given M&K a listen. Outstanding sonic purity, solid reputation and reasonable value for the money.

my name is derek and i wonted to know you could send me some pics of how to build speaker boxes thank you derekdawson9@hotmail.com

Hello! I just got the Sony receiver STR-D565. I got it off of ebay-it's in great shape, but has no manual. I also recently got a Sony surround sound system with 5 small speakers and a big bass speaker. I am having trouble hooking all of this up.
I also have comcast digital cable, Aiwa stereo CD/tape deck/reciever system, the Zenith TV with the 3 jacks and cable input, and a VCR (I don't care about hooking this up to the reciever, but I want to be able to play this on the TV.)
Please help. Thanks in advance for the help.

Anonymous
Just wanted to add.
Products I carry

Sunfire Recievers....Incredible!

Denon AVR1083...nice!

Polk Audio RM7600 an awesome system for under $3000

Polk Audio LSi series. I could put something together for you for right around $3000 that you could not touch anywere for less. Check out these high end systems and email me if iterested!

Sunfire Subs. Well, if you haven't heard them then you need to experience them........

If interested please email me at jasonyoung@lvcm.com I will try to help you with a real money saving pruchase that you will be happy with.

Actually, I think you answered your own question in your first post: "I've been looking all over for a definitive answer." Have you looked at the Definitive BP-12s? Unfreakingbelievable, from part-your-hair volume to the tiniest subtleties. No HTIB could even come close.

Sorry--wrong model (I don't know if Definitive ever made a "BP-12". I must be confusing numbers with their BP series.

I meant the BP2000TL or BP2002TL.

Both are excellent.

Anonymous
What is the best speaker system for under $500.00?

Anonymous
Best sound for about $3K is an easy one for me--Magnepan.

You can get four of the Magnepan MMGs for $2100 and the center channel for about $900. Smokes anything else in this price range. if you haven't heard the Magnepan planar speakers, you have no idea how much better they sound than any cone based speaker, so check them out. The Maggie MG12s are almost identical and your local Maggie dealer will have them in stock to listen to. Just compare them to anything else in the store and you will see what I mean.

Anonymous
I wish I had 3 grand to spend on speakers, well I have allready spent 3 grand on Klipsch speakers! There are so many speakers out there that I went with what I figured was the best SOUND I could get for the money and for my ears. I have Klipsch RF-5's, RC3II, 4 RS3II's, KG 3.5 (For DVD Audio and SACD in the rear) plus a KSW 12. When I went looking for a AVR, I looked at Pioneer Elite, Integra, Marantz and Denon. I bought the Denon 3803 as a good second place to the Marantz SR8200.
I thought the Marantz sounded the best and it should for 50% more. The large point is that I had Klipsch, Bright, Denon, Bright, Silver Cables, Bright and when I put the system together it was very fatiguing. Now that the system is breaking in, it's less bright, actually very good soundstage. Tight Bass, clear highs and upper midrange, very analytical for Classical and Jazz. But you know I would be just as happy if I splurged for the Marantz and used Paradigm, B&W's and any other reputable brand not sold at CC, BB or HH Gregg. My advice is take your time and listen and probally Klipsch are not the speakers for you. My Brother in Law has B&W and they sound fantastic, with a Rotel pre and post. Thiele sounds fantastic but that's the 10k territory.

Well, have you auditioned the Martin Logan Line?
Magnepan vs. Martin Logan. Winner is Martin LOgan. New localized tweeter and bench built quality from Lawrence, Kansas.

Unregistered guest
Hi,

does anyone have a local store that sells the J Series premier stands to suit the paradigm reference series? Our importer in Australia doesnt bring them in, and i would really like to get a set of these stands, if anyone does, can they provide a web address, or location and pricing?

If anyone is happy to mail a set to me here in australia, or is trying to sell them i would be appreciative to..

Thanks

Steve
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us