Buying a new surround sound system, need help and opinions

Username: Nitrox

Post Number: 1
hiya all, well im looking to buy a new surround sound system for my house w/ a limit of ~ $1500 to $2000 for just the speakers and sub. i just bought a new 55" HDTV and i want to get a new set of speakers for my movies. thats what ill be using the speakers for the most, not really music. i dont know too much about speakers and the like so id like some of your opinions.

some of the new sets of speakers that ive looked at are bose and the mirage omni sat speakers. i really didnt like the bose AM 16 system too much so that leaves me w/ the mirage speakers. i really liked the mirage multi directional speakers. i paired that w/ a velodyne sub and i think they sounded pretty darn good. ill be looking through some other stores in the next week or so to get some more ideas. i know that everyone has their own ear for sound, i just need some ideas on some good sets of speakers that i should look at for the amount that i want to spend, and some speakers that i should stay away from.

ill also be looking at some receivers to replace the one that i have now. its an old onkyo. i want this receiver to be a 6.1 system. friends tell me that a denon is pretty good.

thanks all for the help and opinions. if i need to put some clarifying info for you to give me some good ideas, then id be more than willing to do that. thanks all.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 298
I would count Bose out - over priced.

If you really like the mirage, may be that's the one for you. They make good stuff. There are companies selling direct and they can offer more quality since they are cutting out the middleman.

www.ascendacoustics.com

On the receivers, I think a NAD and onkyo 800 and above sounds better than a Denon - they got good reviews here - www.hifichoice.co.uk

Go with the ones the pros recommend on hifi magazines, and you will end up with better sound. Go slow and hear many before deciding.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us