Amp wont turn on everything is connected properly.

Username: Gibnihtmus

Post Number: 5
Earlier this week my amp was working perfectly. I was blasting music and all. Then one time yesterday I started my car and i noticed that there was no bass. I checked my sub and the amp wasnt on. Everything is still connected where its supposed to be. So when the first thing I thought of was leading an extra wire from the hot terminal and connected it to the remote terminal. The amp turns on. So i checked the back of my headunit thinking that it was loose. But when I looked it was still connected. So I dont know whats wrong? any suggestions?

another note would be, when i added an extra wire from the hot terminal and connected it to the remote turn on, the amp would only turn on when the radio is on. I thought it they were connected it would be on at all times. Also nothing is coming from my sub when it is on through this connection. Everything is connected correctly.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5191
Yeah, you hooked up your amp turn-on to your power antenna wire (solid blue) on the head unit (thus it only turns on when you are listening to AM/FM). You need to hook it up to the blue wire with white stripe, which is the amp turn on.

Thanks for providing the additional note.

Post Number: 6
It is hooked up to the blue/white wire. I looked in the back and it had a label remote system. When it was working I barely listened to the radio. I usually listened to CDs

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5192
What head unit is this? And what amp?

Related Threads:

Post Number: 7
I have an pioneer deh-p7300. Im not too sure about the amp. Its a kenwood. 4/3/2 channel amp. But i bridged it from 2 channels to 1.

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1776
There is nothing wrong with your remote wire. You've blown the fuse under the hood, and remember, fuses fail without burning the metal in half.
Often times the solder inside either end melts before the actual fuse "blows", causing the fuse to lose continuity even though it looks to be in tact.

Just get a new fuse man.

Post Number: 8
its not the fuse because i can turn it on when i connect the hot wire to the remote wire.

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1777
Ok, who's here asking questions? If you know it all then stop wasting our time by asking questions if you're not going to listen to our answers. I told you once, its the fuse under the hood.
I shouldn't have to sit here and convince you, you're the person who looking for help...just trust me,
GET A FUSE!

(The reason it works when you jump the remote wire to the hot is because the remote is providing 12v+ to the amp's main input. The reason I know this is because you said the jumper wire only works to turn the amp on if the head unit is turned on, use some common sense here. You're main power wire doesn't have any juice man. Either your fuse is bad or you have lost connection at the battery/source, just get a new fuse)

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5193

quote:

i can turn it on when i connect the hot wire to the remote wire.

Which remote wire? Are you connecting the remote wire of your headunit directly to the (+) terminal of the amp? I'm trying to understand what you mean here. Or do you mean you disconnected the remote wire from the head unit and then connected the (+) wire coming from the battery to your remote turn-on terminal of the amp?

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1778
Seriously? come on, this isnt rocket science, re-read his original post, in its entirety. All you need to know is there. His power wire doesnt havent power, end of story.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11098
Ah, let em try running it with the remote wire as the power source to the amp lol

I'm surprised jumping it didnt blow the HU's remote circuit already

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5194
Zac, I know he's being somewhat "malapert" but I'm just confirming he didn't fry the remote turn on, which is what I think he did. I bet he hooked up the (+) from the amp while the remote from the head unit was still hooked up to the amp and fried it.

I think, though, that me and you are a bit confused...to be sure, it seems that you think he hooked up the remote turn on directly to the amp (+), which in turn substituted for his amp's (+) not working, right?

This is why we have multimeters, folks!

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1779
M.S. = haha, no doubt right! :D

Jexx = I'm not confused at all. The amp works with the jumper when the head unit is on, it does not work when the head unit is off. So where is the power coming from?, yes, the remote wire. Seriously man, if you're going to give advice then read the entire post thoroughly before you try to diagnose the problem haha. I know you're only trying to help. I think you're smart enough to know it has nothing to do with the blue +ant turn-on vs the blue-white +amp turn-on wire. If you had thoroughly read his initial post you would have figured it out without having to ask what kind of deck he has.

I'm guessing you skipped his second paragraph...read it again and you're confusion will end haha. Yes, he "hooked up the remote turn on directly to the amp (+), which in turn substituted for his amp's (+) not working"

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5195
Heh, the reason I asked what kind of head unit he has is because I had the feeling it was a Jensen or some POS that broke. It's true, though, it bugs me that he thinks 'everything is hooked up correctly' and won't accept that something is obviously NOT hooked up correctly.

And what's more is he claims he's getting no sound output even when 'it is on through this connection'? I'm kind of a detail freak and his ambiguity is killing me. We should get his address and have someone just check it out for him, or smack him upside the head haha.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 191
^x2 hahaha

and yes i recently had this same problem. my component amp kept turning on and off. the fuse looked fine. but after it kept doing it it turned off and would not come back on. so i pulled out the test light and it was good from the batt to the fuse. but not from the batt to the far end of the fuse.

i was so pissed because it was such a simple fix, so i pulled out the fuse and the plastic was all melted. so i checked out the fuse holder and it was so melted that the part that holds the wire in place was so cocked and shifted that it was just arching on and off the fuse every now and then.

couldnt believe it, this wont happen again, lol

Post Number: 9
i hooked up the remote from the hu to the remote on the amp. But i also have a wire from the remote from the amp to the hot wire. I was playing around with it today. It wasnt the fuse after all. The hot wire was a little burnt so i cut it and stripped it and now its fine. But that zac guys theory made sense for a little bit. I guess there was no power because the end of the wire went bad for some odd reason.

Gold Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1780
Quote: Zac Davis

"Your main power wire doesn't have any juice man. Either your fuse is bad or you have lost connection at the battery/source..."

"His power wire doesnt havent power, end of story...."

Like I said, your remote was powering your "hot" wire. I told you there was no connectivity from your battery to the amp, usually it's the fuse. Either way...the power wire was not providing power to the amp, as I said.
It wasn't a theory, it's common sense, start using it guys.