Archive through November 21, 2005

Unregistered guest
Hey, anyone in the UK been done by the classic White Van Man scam, seeling top end speakers on the cheap?

billyR
Unregistered guest
they got me yesterday. i said i wasn't interested, but this guy wouldn't let up. started at $1,500, and went down to $250. it was almost worth the money just to get this guy away from me....smelled like he just ran a marathon through the desert. anyway, i haven't hooked these things up yet, so i hope they work.

Happy BillyR
Unregistered guest
Wow They do work, and much to my suprise they are awesome. I very glad i ran into those guys.
Thanks !!

Unregistered guest
yea i just bought some the other day...though i was the luckyest guy in the world...arent i? whats up, are these things worth as much as they said they were? e-mail me PLEASE if you know whats going on..!?

Unregistered guest
i fell for it...could you e-mail me at angryplop@aol.com, are they legit some one wrote that they work...are they worth how much they say they do? if you know whats going on please e-mail me..?!

Unhappy BillyR
Unregistered guest
well after setting them up, they worked for 3 days, and stopped. i can't get any signal from the rear speakers. that's what i get for buying out of a van......

Anonymous

Theres another post site, cant remember where it is now, basically these things are actually worth about £10 (about $16US) but all the books and boxes and leaflets etc are made by them to make u think theyre worth more, its a really clever scam being done all over the world by these b@stards
check out www.scamshield.com for more info

Unregistered guest
LAME!

Jeff211984
Unregistered guest
I was the latest person to get scammed with a Ti-4000. The guy said he was picking up the speakers for his boss and that they gave him double the order. He wanted at first $700 then he said he would settle for $200 and I still said know. Then I left, he then pulled up next to me again and said he would take $150. I still said no and said the most I would give is $120 cause I figured even if they wernt worth what they said on the ow I still wouldnt beable to buy a cheap home theater system for that amount. I hooked them up and I am actually happy with them. I think they sound fine. Atleast I didnt pay a arm and a leg for it like some poor guys. I think I got my moneys worth. Actually a pawn shop offered 150 for them but I still decided

Unregistered guest
Yeah just thought Id check the model number on the internet found this web site S**T, Ive only had them like 5 minutes they got £230 outta me f**k. but if they work and are loud and are infact 300 watts not to bad, Shame I go tripped off.

Unregistered guest
Yeah just thought Id check the model number on the internet found this web site S**T, Ive only had them like 5 minutes they got £230 outta me f**k. but if they work and are loud and are infact 300 watts not to bad, Shame I got ripped off.

Unregistered guest
they got £300 outa me..:-( i hooked em up, an they work, kinda sas, but not worth £300, prolly £250 like eery one else payed, except me coz im seem to be a dumb cat...LAME!

Anonymous

Yeah i brought a pair model 1250 i got stopped in birmingham. They took £200 for them but i contacted a friend in america and they are meant to be the dogz over there. Ijust brought a cyrus amp for £700 and they sound awsome through it. I dont think they are cheap speakers i think its more of the case that you have brought a pair of good speakers but just having to live with that they are stolen. They must be i checked out a few sites 2. Contact me if anyone has anymore information about them.

marc03848
Unregistered guest
I just bought em for 380 US Dollars... same double order thing as you jeff.

Just curious, did you get yours from northern mass?

airrid
Unregistered guest
you people who put this up have no life i bought speakers before all the speakers work if you ever run in to those guy buy the speakers they are all good

Ralph10016
Unregistered guest
What are the chances that a guy in a van in a parkinglot with a stereo for $2500 MSRP selling it to you for $380 IS LEGITIMATE ???? Zero-Zipppo-Nada!

No Fool
Unregistered guest
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Username: Deadlytruthz

Portland, Maine USA

Post Number: 1
Black Dodge Durango Mass. plates , just sold two TI - 1250's (for $300)to my boyfriend in Freeport, Maine. One man had a goatee. I tried calling a local radio station to say something about it over the air, that way other maine residents won't get screwed. It looks like they follow the same path, ct, mass and then up to canada, thats probably where they are headed now. -Raychell

ToddioTP
Unregistered guest
yeah i suck as well.. i just got the "double order" scam to.. on my break at work they pulled up next to me in a black dodge durango with Texas plates.. i payed $150... i assumed the speakers were stolen. but i guess i was the one that got scammed... shitty..

whitevan
Unregistered guest
hey im from Wales in the UK i got done 2day, an amercian guy in a white van. said he was deliering them an the had 2 extra. paid £300

Unregistered guest
I just got scammed in Florida, three dudes in a red Ford Explorer. I gave them $450.00 for the TI-4000 and a pair of TI-1250's. I set them up they look good and sound ok but I still feel like the fool. They used the "double order" scam, sounded plausible at the time. Live and learn I guess.

No Fool
Unregistered guest
If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

JamesClements
Unregistered guest
I just got done in portsmouth, paid £150 for them, hooked them up, they're not that bad good for my room anyway. Out of interest has anyone else had them fail and does anyone know if they actually have an internal crossover in them?

Username: Deadlytruthz

Portland, Maine USA

Post Number: 2
ToddioTP , where did they sell them to you? Maine area?

gangstsa
Unregistered guest
Looks like ive done the best so far paid 100 gbp. i hooked em up and they work.this was in london. american guys. me being me i took his number plate and probably will be seeing him soon. Haha.

Username: Billie_sallie

Hey, I just won an auction on ebay and the seller from Boston is telling me it's TI-4000...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5784751306
Is TI-4000 a totally bogus model number? Is this the sale of scammed merchandise? Or is there a possibility that this is an ok deal?
My check for $85 is in the mail. Should I stop payment on it? (Actually, for $85, I wouldn't mind if it's not genuine TI, as long as the system works/sounds ok. If it's going to sound like junk, I am not going to want it.)

Post Number: 3
Lemme try that link one more time...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5784751306

Yeah, this one works :-)

Post Number: 4
Hello? Can somebody answer atl least this?

Is TI-4000 a totally bogus model number?

I surely would at least like to know this. Thanks...

Unregistered guest
I bought a pair of TI~1250 on a lunch break from work in Richmond, Surrey.
I was in the market for some speakers and these two middle aged Londoners were v.well practiced with sales 8ullsh1t. Spent A£250, after lots of scamming / haggling the deal was done.
Followed this link just now: http://www.scamshield.com/ that describes the scam just how it happened.

Yet to fire up the speakers, perhaps they're alright.

Post Number: 5
Check out this websearch result

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?srch=105&FORM=AS5&q=Audio%2bWood%2bProducts

one of them
http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/InPerson/speaker_scams.htm
was real good it seems to me, and TI-4000 is not listed as one of the scammed model numbers, so, maybe my ebay deal is cool? Heck, I dunno, and obviously, neither does anyone else.

YOUHAVENOCLUE
Unregistered guest
YOU GUYS DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT I BOUGHT SOME AND THERE THEBEST I HAVE EVER BOUGHT SO WHAT EVER LOL

Anonymous

WTF
At least we know how to spell. Leuzer

Richard_137
Unregistered guest
Hi, just found this forum thread whilst contemplating buying an item from ebay. The advert seemed strange and upon noticing this i felt it was probarbly a scam. Here is the link in case it is of any help to you. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993%26item%3D57896290 31%26

Post Number: 6
No pix, but the guy has a good history, albeit a tad short. Seven + from buyers. I wonder how one knows that they didn't recieve the genuine article? My ebay deal had pix, but I wouldn't know from looking at them if they are knock-offs or not!

Username: Irose

Post Number: 10
Those TI-4000 are real, so technically you got what you paid for and didnt get scamed, but my guess is that they sound like crap. Here is Theater Innovations website:
http://www.theater-innovations.com/Products/TI440MR/productdetail.htm

If you look through those products it is totally bogus, they ask for insane price for junk. You can tell its junk by not even listening to them. For example none i repeat none of their revcievrs have Dobly Digital or DTS logos on them. They say compatbile (which is a loose way of saying that you can play movies with Dobly and DTS and sound will come out but doesnt mean that you actaully hearing anything encoded in DD or DTS.) You would think that if you are paying 800 dollars for a 1000watt reciver that they could afford Dobly and DTS lisensing for logos. sorry for the spelling in a rush and pretty pissed that these people are ripping good people off. HAHAHA i really like their 500 dollar DVD player with no DD or DTS logos on the faceplate also there 1,200 dollar 5.1 professional HT system. See they say 5.1, which means 5 speakers and a sub. It doesnt say anything about DD or DTS. Argh I will stop now. Just thought Id post the website to show that yes those model numbers are technially legit, but its all crap with high price numbers.

Post Number: 7
Ok, I heard that. Thanks for your reply Hehe. I take it you are NOT a big fan of TI stuff. Frankly, I never even HEARD of TI before the ebay auction. Teehee. If you want to know the real truth, I just wanted it for the speakers. I have a JVC RX-6030VBK reciever here, waiting for them. The TI head unit is just gravy. I spent a whopping $49.99 for the sale, plus $34.71 shipping.
I must still ask (cuz I don't see...) why do you relate the TI-4000 to the TI-440 products?

Username: Bartoff

Salem, OR Marion

Theater Research Speaker

Please note, I'm not affiliated with TR, nor am I shilling for them.

I've read a great many white van stories regarding Theater Research (US) and Theater Innovations (UK)? I bought a pair of TR-2920's I guess a year ago on ebay. Most people seem to believe they were had. I don't agree. Don't flame me, here's why.

1. I run a Melos MA-333 tube preamp using a matched quad set of Amperex 6922 pinch waist tubes through a McIntosh solid state amp using Kimber Kable KCAG sivler interconnect and bi-wired XLO speaker cables. I run a B&W ASW 600 powered subwoofer when I listen to bookshelf speakers. And used it for the LFE channel in my 18'x24' home movie theater based on an InFocus Screenplay 7200 front projector with 8' screen. The sub alone was nearly $2000.00. I listen to new speakers all the time and find the under a $1000.00 speaker market is full of undistinguised examples. This is the value for money market. Claims that Theater research are worth more than $1000.00 a pair is a big stretch, until you factor in the built in sub. But for well under $500.00 (I paid $250 shipping included.) I think I got more than my money's worth. Here's why.

2. Once PROPERLY set up, difficult considering the cheesy one page instruction sheet that came with the speakers, they require 100 hours of burn-in time, white noise etc. They DO sound like crap before they are burned in, no one is wrong about that. These appear to be Chinese made using what appears to be the same speakers, or clones of the kevlar speaker and silk dome tweeters used in the Warfdale Diamond speakers, a good value for money speaker in their own right.

3. The amplifier for the powered subs is in one speaker tower only. If you don't hook up a set of speaker wires from tower to tower in addition to the L-R cables from your system power amplifier, your bass will go missing and again, the speakers will sound like crap. Don't forget to plug the sub woofer power cable in and turn the switch on. Also set the sub volume to the middle position (too much in my room) and go down from there. There is yet a third set of binding post. I suspect these are there to hook up one set of the midrange drivers to feed out of phase signals to the opposite speaker alla Mathew Polk to create a stable phantom center fill. I did not hook these up.

4. My peaves? In addition to the instructions, the nut on the binding posts tends to loosen up and back off over a short period of time and needs to be retightened periodically, and the little black rubber stick-on feet.

5.What's in it for the listener? Bass. Don't get carried away here, but properly connected, they can kick it out. These speakers did best 30 plus inches from the the rear wall and 24 inches from the side wall. This left me with 5' 6" between tweeters in my my 10' x 12' listening room. The advantage to powered subs is that the speaker can be run with a relatively low powered amplifier such as you'ld find in a home theater. They also play loud and are more suited to ZZ Top than Zubin Mehta. If you're a head banger this is a good choice in this price range. Otherwise, get the B&W DM 603s. They cost $1000.00/pair and don't have the bass but are a no brainer recommendation.

6. Ultimately, I found them best suited for my home movie theater. They are currently serving as the left and right front speakers driven by my Outlaw Audio Model 1050 Receiver. Warfdale Diamond 8.1 s fill out the center and rear surrounds. They too will be replaced by TR 2920s. The single pair I now have will shake the house on low frequency effects and best my B&Ws in some ways. $2000.00 for a dedicated subwoofer, for LFE, or a $250.00 a pair of TR 2920s? The choice is yours, I've made mine, I'm picking up two more pairs of the TRs cheap! Yes, even for my rear surrounds. For the price, they're too good pass up. Hook 'em up right, burn 'em in well, and KNOW you did OK.

Unregistered guest
i had some american blokey and a younger english sidekick showing me these speakers in the back of the white van bout 2 months ago in cowley,oxford.i ended up paying 160 for them.i was told afterwards by workmates that it was a scam. . . but i must say they are actually quite banging with my turntables hooked up and have a good sound quality.although i do believe that they are probably worth jack really guys and if i see him again.........

Unregistered guest
i had some american blokey and a younger english sidekick showing me these speakers in the back of the white van bout 2 months ago in cowley,oxford.i ended up paying 160 for them.i was told afterwards by workmates that it was a scam. . . but i must say they are actually quite banging with my turntables hooked up and have a good sound quality.although i do believe that they are probably worth jack really guys and if i see him again.........WHACK

incinerator
Unregistered guest
i just got a pair of speakers yesterday and found this doing a search to find out about it. haven't opened them yet, figured i'd sell then on ebay, but for $150 if they work i guess i'll just keep them for myself. two guys came up to me while i was pumping gas in a green van, the passenger never said anything, and when i kept getting the price down he even asked if i could even trade some pot for it.

by the way this was in plainfield, CT, he said he was from Old Saybrook, whatever...

Post Number: 8
Well, I got the TI-4000 5:1 channel system today, finally. For $49.99 + shipping, I can't complain. I'm wondering about the subwoofer though. I don't know how to hook it up to my reciever. It has eight posts for bare wire, or, I think, banana connectors. Eight posts! A positive & negative post each for left/in, right/in, left/out & right/out. I only have one RCA output jack for a powered subwoofer from my reciever. How do I hook it up?
BTW, I don't think this has seen the light of day since it was originally boxed... previous owner said it was used for a week - BS.

Post Number: 9
The Theeater Innovations box surely does look authentic. It's basically red/black with a lot of professional looks to it and some familliar diagrams from the TI website. Why is there absolutely zero reference to the model TI-4000 on the TI website, let alone the whole friggin internet????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well, I have finally found my TI-4000 5.1 Channel System, but not at http://www.theater-innovations.com/Products/TI440MR/productdetail.htm
Here they are...
http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/speakersystem/ds-6.1.htm
Yep, Theater Research "DS-6.1 Digital Series 6 piece system" is the spitting image of my TI-4000. Check out the pix of mine at the ebay auction in my post above...

And for some more juicy info, the subwoofer is a friggin joke. I took off the base plate that secures the eight terminal posts to the rear of the box, just to have a look inside. Inside that base plate, the four black "-" terminals are soldered together. The four red "+" terminals are soldered together. I suppose that's what they call their "DIGITAL CUSTOM CROSSOWER CIRCUITRY" (I didn't mis-spell "crossover, they did, check it out at the above TR link).

One wire goes in from the red "+" terminals, down to one of the speakers. A wire then goes from that speaker to the other. Finally, the third wire goes from the second speaker to the black "-" terminals. Other than air, that's all there is inside the subwoofer box.

I suppose that is what you call a "non-powered" subwoofer.

I don't know how the heck I'm gonna use this subwoofer with my reciever, since my reciever only has an RCA jack for a powered subwoofer.

I tried emailing Theater Research. It came back un-deliverable. Then I tried calling. I got an answering machine that was too full to take any more messages.

I tried calling Theater Innovations. I got a fax machine.

Still, I think the set is worth my $49.99, but no friggin way is it worth the $1,999.00 suggested retail that is so prominently displayed on the front of the box.

Both of these companies $uck big-time and are hereby and forever on my $hit list.

beardo
Unregistered guest
check this guy out...

http://www.soundonsound.com/readersads/AdBrowse.php?page=2&Cat=18

Some guy called Joseph trying to get 600-900 quid for em! may be worthwile giving him a few calls on 07967050420 (Chiswick, London) I'm sure he'd appreciate it!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Here's a TI-4000 system in ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5791760575

$40.00 starting bid, no bids yet, one day to go & the guy sounds legit. If you're anywhere near Houston, that'll help keep the shipping cost down.

Thought I'd give the guy a hand & they're worth $40 + a little shipping imo.

Unregistered guest
Theater Innovations? They don't exist except with guys in trucks with a load of them saying they have extras from thw warehouwe. That's how I got scammed. Even had the magazine showing the advertisement for $2999.99. Thought I found a buy..........how stupid and greedy I could have been. Paid $350, it's the TI 6000 T model. Even the box had the 2999.99 on it and sealed. I figured, sounds good, need one, he followed me to the ATM, took out the cash and gave it to him............bad deal? Who knows. Read everyone's stories who thought and know this is a scam, same thing, two guys in a truck with some equipment in the back riding around asking if you want a home theater system. This took place in New York, they were in some gray 4X4. Anyway, took it home, unpacked it, everying thing seemed ok, everything was sealed in plastic. Set it up...........sounds good, everything works. I don't like that the receiver is attached to the woofer and there's no separate receiver or
dvd player. Also, had to buy a amplified FM antenna to get the FM to work. Bottom line: spent 350, learned my lesson, but got something that sounds descent. Just Beware and be careful. And, of course, there's no warrranty so I hope it lasts for a while. And the only thing missing in the box are some type of screws that hold the speakers to the brackets and to the wall..........but I'll figure that out.
Like I said, beware and be careful and pass this along to all.

Unregistered guest
Another one bites the dust! The scammers have made it to California! This guy "saw me coming" and swooped in on me like an Eagle to a cub! His approach was that he was given a theatre system by his boss but he didn't want. He said that he works as an installer of this system, he was in a hurry so he would give me the system for $600.00. I am sure he knew that $600.00 was outlandish so he waited until I was walking away to make "a deal" with me. He was "nice enough" to allow me to give him whatever I had. Supposedly this system was valued at $3000.00. How stupid can I be. Not stupid, maybe naive. Anyway, I hooked it up and they sound like a Fisher Price musical toy. They are beautiful. The casing looks like a high gloss cherry or mohagany wood. The speakers are quite heavy, but that means nothing. Don't be scammed. The box reads "Palermo Home Digital Theatre System". Look out for it. It isn't worth $25.00 unless you want a pretty wood box!

pissed off
Unregistered guest
i just payed 1000 dollars for four of those things 30 minutes ago. there is a good chance these guys are in trouble...any one get ripped off in massachusettes (usa)? and have any info that came help me??? i dont know what to do.

doh
Unregistered guest
spent 300 for a pair yesterday near boston. damn. 3 guys in a minivan with RI plates. should have known by the smell of the weed . . .
anyone want a pair of speakers? ;)

Username: Shamuchef

Orlando, Florida United states

Post Number: 6
yea 50.00 bucks

Username: Ohmygod

Oh dear. I've been screwed too. I bought a TI-600T for £300 from them a few months ago in Dorset. Exacltly the same descriptions and story. I've not tried them yet though. Won't be doing that again!!!

TI-600T from "Theatre Innovations"

Post Number: 3
Actually no sorry it was a TI-6000T from "Theatre Innovations"

Unregistered guest
I've bought four pairs in the last three weeks and shifted em off for twice what I paid for em. That's how to sell speakers. Target dumb males, with too much money and not enough sense. Fill their heads with "power talk" for example :-
"Are these really any good?"
"Yeah, they'll take up to 300WATTS!!!"
"Sweet, I'll have 4 pairs!!"
"Sweet, I'll take all your money now and drop em off round your house later!!"

You know how this story ends....BUY YOUR SPEAKERS FROM A SHOP, simple, common sense.

www.richersounds.com

i'vebeenhad
Unregistered guest
I bought a pair of TI-1250's in Durham, NH on 8/17. paid $200.00. They seem to work alright. Same story as everyone else (warehouse gave him a double order). Blue early 90's caravan with a broken front grill. Guy had a NH license but said he lived in mass. I'm ticked that i believed the guy. People at UNH... watch out. ??Possibly trying to hit up kids on campus while moving in.??

toobad
Unregistered guest
Long Island NY two guys, weed, gray astro van, same story $300 for full home theater system.

beware the scam man.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
how can people be so damn stupid

Post Number: 4
quote:[how can people be so damn stupid]

Well these guys are good, well they should be. Looks like they've had a lot of practice.

They show you a large advert of the equipment in an audio mag for you to see the 'selling price'. They have the paperwork. It did sound very dodgy at the time but they let you believe that you're in for a really good deal and everyone's a winner.

If didn't happen to me I'd probably wonder why all these people fell for it too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
another idiot

Lewis J Spindlove
Unregistered guest
Ok, been doing some quick research...

If you go to the Theater Innovations website (theater-innovations.com) there is a Contact link. I clicked on this and the address was vasaudio@sbcglobal.com. So I tried going to the SBC Global website and it had a large ALERT page stating that people have been receiving emails fradulently about their card details from SBC global:

If you have been redirected to this Alert page, you may be a victim of an identity theft scam

Theater Innovations is so goddam dodgy. Products that cost so much but they don't even have an online store?! Products that have never been reviewed in 'What Hi-Fi' or any other reputable review paper.

If you have these speakers you've been had. Sorry.

Lewis J S

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
anyone who buys from these people must be one can short of a sixpack

bkut
Unregistered guest
Chicago, IL. $160.00. Logos fell off. Tuff connections. Furious. Shady gas station corners is where I'm looking.

almost got had...
Unregistered guest
I just bought a pair myself, from a buddy of mine who I jsut found out bought it from a black dodge truck a couple moths back, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I thought Id check this out before I actually paid, him so im not sure hhes going to receive any money from me. We tried them, they work really good. but still....

I'll See..he wants $180Can for them, but.....

They are the theater research ds-6.1, they say they are worth $1,999 US for them, im not sure though.!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
ya big dummy

Username: Patcubel

Occeanside, CA United States

I bought a set of Digital 5.1 pro 3 series digital system from a white van in a WALMAART paarking lot, the salesman said that they where woth 2K$, I ggave him 150$ bought a BestBuy receiver for 150$ and hooked everything up...the speakers sound ok...but I think it is funny how this scam is going aroud the world like it is....Hook them up before you gripe...come on you shouldn't expect something worth 2K$ from a van...maybe something worth what you paid....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
first normal opinion ive heard

I never got had!!
Unregistered guest
Thanks all! IM the "almost got had" guy!!

I see, Im not worried about it anymore, im buying them off him for $50can. So whatever, Ive tried them out, Im not expecting them to be perfect. IM ONLY PAYING $50! So I guess I'll live, By nice reciever, and there we go. In my opinion I cant go wrong if there that cheap..unless they dont work...but they do...SO yeah.

I cant beleive the scam is EVERYWHERE!!! Oh well. Im basically going to pay $200 for a whole home theatre system, not to bad in my opinion, if I want something really nice, I'll by it from a store. For now, this'll work. Thanks guys...

Oh yeah, John Rogers......I agreed with you for a bit...i was a "big dummy" =)...But thinking about it, hey, its all good, if it does its job, its cheap! so, im happy!
Ciao Guys!! OH yeah, thanks Patrick!!

Username: Ohdear

i had this happen to me last week in gloucestershire. i noted down the van plates.... they still seem to work alrite.

Anonymous

neone on here who actually belives they got a good deal from this are nothing more than complete idiots in denial

neone who fell for the scam but realised they had been ripped off, well your only half way idiots

face you DONT get good deals from the back of a van
theater innovations are in no magazines
and the website and catalouge they use.....guess what guys THEY MADE THEM THEMSELVES!!!!

these things are worth £20 (abt $50US) MAX!

sorry to break it 2 u

Reign of Deception
Unregistered guest
Today the guys were in a black Jeep Grand Cherokee selling scam speakers in Boston Mass. They even drove me to the bank themselves. Are they getting a little cocky with their bullshit? I realized that although what they are doing is completely immoral, they never told an actual lie, thus it is not technically illegal. If you get ripped off and realize that they have undeniably told you a lie, report them to the police immediately, they have committed fraud. It is sad that some people can be so greedy and manipulative. Please do what you can to end the reign of the deception kings.

spkr. guy
Unregistered guest
Look at all you big cry babys!! Yo iv`e been a speaker guy going on 6 years now and i have done nothing, but hook you dudes UP! with decent speakers for a reasonable price. would u rather go to best buy and actulaly spend 2000$ on the same quality stuff? cuz it is you know.most of chumps probaly havent even hooked it up yet huh.

spkr. guy
Unregistered guest
Look at all you big cry babys!! Yo iv`e been a speaker guy going on 6 years now and i have done nothing, but hook you dudes UP! with decent speakers for a reasonable price. would u rather go to best buy and actulaly spend 2000$ on the same quality stuff? cuz it is you know.most of chumps probaly havent even hooked it up yet huh.

Username: Thanks

2 guys, white van, Long Island, thank goodness I went to the internet and Googled "theater innovations TI-6000T". This thread came right up, I didn't buy. Same story as all of the above. He started higher and came down pretty fast - his bottom was $250. They looked nice, he even offered to set them up for demo. They probably work fine, just not the high end that you would expect after hearing the deal. Thanks for the warning..

Ivan the innocent
Unregistered guest
Thanks for posting all this information. I almost was had. Turns out my buddy called me at work from his cell phone as he was being offered two TI-5150 systems. He asked if I was interested in the second system because he was buying the other. My buddy even gave me the TI web page. Being suspicious of the TI web site and not having heard of the company before, I did a quick search on google and found this thread. Thanks for saving us $900.

Zwankid
Unregistered guest
I got one pulled over on me the other day, in Wisconsin(USA) The weirdest thing is that for no reason would I have ever wanted these speakers, that shows that these guys are really good, after going over every thing that happened in my head I am really suprised that I didn't get out of it, I can see a bunch of the tricks they used in hindsight, my only hope is that these speakers are worth SOMETHING as they got me for $800. When the guy started talking to me I originally thought he meant he had some crap used speakers for free, and as the bed of my truck was empty I thought I'd take a look, as I am into retro looking antique type stuff, the way he really got me is by sort of just putting the speakers in my truck and making it feel like I had already agreed to the deal, and that I owed HIM something, what a bunch of bull.

Freicam
Unregistered guest
San Jose Costa Rica.......it is every where..... I was today on my way to work when this guy offered me the Home theater system.....TR-6.1 Pro series.....they were driving in a Ford with USA license plate ....he began at $400 and I took it down to $80.....I had the guy tried the speakers infront of me to make sure they worked fine and they do work ...but still cant hook it up to my DVD ...there is something missing ...it has te subwoofer, 4 speakers and the center one....can some one explain to me how to connect them?

incledible!!!!!
Unregistered guest
My friend bought these things for (outrageous!!!!) us $2,300.00/ I couldn't believe how naif he is...
this post is to make you guys fell better about this, out there there's someone how paid more than you paid for the "thing".
Jersey City, NJ.

grrr
Unregistered guest
we too have been had. Brighton MA... two guys black suv.

grrr
Unregistered guest
we too have been had. Brighton MA... two guys black suv.

Anonymous

Today, I purchased one of these theater innovations TI-6000T systems in Rockford, IL. I paid $300.00 with a promise of the ability to be able to return them if needed or if I was not happy.
Yes, I bought from the back of a white van with Illinois license plates # 26 113 H. However, they were in polo shirts that identified the company SounDesign, it appeared legitimate. Had an invoice and offered me warranty information and I bought it. He was very persuasive, even offered to follow me home to hook it up before I bought it (I am glad that I didn't allow him to do that). After he opened the box to show me, he loaded it up in my van and I went home.
I came home and looked it up, found it to be a bunch of bogus equipment. I went back out, found him and DEMANDED my money back - when he refused - I called the police. I realize that there really wasn't much I could've done, but the guy had written me a receipt and the officer asked me what I wanted, I told him only my money. They guy was nasty with him and was not going to give me my money back until they had him cuffed and putting him in the car. The officer told me these two guys were from Chicago/Naperville area. Their first names were Jeremy & Rob. I was VERY lucky and thank goodness I at least had enough sense to ask for a receipt because he would have gotten away with it and I would have learned a $300 lesson.

Username: Ti6000t_sucker

I've been had too. Just hours ago. Two guys. Selling this crap that they said was theirs to take because the company had way too much overstock. I'm in the niagara falls area. I did get their license plate number thought. I wonder if the cops can do anything with it.

sucked_outof_money
Unregistered guest
I guess they are hitten up the northeast got F@cked then too. I bought these things today could not get them to work right for about an hour but now I got them crankin and they actually sound pretty good. But i guess it sounds like that will change shortly. Oh well thats what'cha get i guess

Anonymous

I got screwd too outside of florida state university. Two guys in an SUV said they got double order from the warehouse. The point is: I'm a stupid college kid who just spent tuition money on speakers I'm not even alowd to have in my dorm. Itleast it was only 300...

OrlandoFL
Unregistered guest
Twice this month I was stopped by separate people in SUV's selling Theater Innovations equip. Orlando - FL

Anonymous

Yesterday I was approached in Cranston, RI by two guys in a Blue Chevy Express Van with Connecicut License Plate O5L M88. They had an overstock of Theater Innovations Surround Sound Systems and were looking to move them fast. I was taken and bought one for myself and one for my brother in law at 200.00 each. What a piece of junk. The quality of the speakers is that of a 35 year old Buick and the receiver gets three channels, one of them on 10 frequencies. These guys are slick and skummy. If they were smart they won't be back in my neighborhood again.

500less
Unregistered guest
I AM SUCH A FOOL!

Done by a short cockney and a goateed guy, I thought maybe Australian. With my student loan come in today they got me on a good day. I was done in Southampton UK. I actually paid £500 for them, which I think makes me the most stupid Brit on here so far!

B@stards, apparently the guy across the road was done a few days ago. I just hope they work alright now, at least they look good.

Tony23
Unregistered guest
I got the TI-6000T model.. Same story, two white guys in a van in Long Island NY. But i also got two MTS(Millenium Theater Systems, model#MTS-2605) speakers 800W each. Does anyone have any info on these? Here is the link - http://millenniumtheatersystems.com/products.htm . They sound really good, so i dont feel too bad about the $400. The reciever/base sounds pretty decent and the little satellite speakers do to.

I can't say Im happy after reading about all this, but like everyone else, i thought i was getting a deal, and till these things die or start sounding like crap, its not a bad buy. If anyone has any info on the MTS speakers please post. Thanx

DeathToTheSpeakerGuys
Unregistered guest
Id like to say that if the fat bearded american and his skinny lil girlfriend carry on i hope they get caught. Not by the police but by someone like me who they sold some speakers to. I want their blood. Losing that much money is hard but knowing that it was from being scammed by two obvious idiots hurts the most. They're both too lucky and will get whats comin for them.

Anonymous

i was stooped by two guys 2 months ago.. same story; they had doubled the order by someone that didnt speak english, they were trying to sell it quickly... the model is an TI-4000 innovation. retail price is 2,000.. i got it for 150... thought I couldnt let that opportunity go... havent oppened the box yet trying to find someone to buy it from me.... DO THEY REALLY WORK? they seem fine!.. please let me know.. email me.. pedpf@bol.com.br

Anonymous

Bucktown, Chicago. I was approached the same way as everyone else. One guy, white van, pulled up right next to me and asked me if I wanted any speakers. I asked if they are for free and he said that he can't give it to me for free but he'll take $500 for them.

I didn't won't any speakers, but was curious about what was he talking about. He actually looked like a typical blue colar sound-tech. guy. He was nurdee and excited that some hispanic kid loaded up an extra one on the back of his van and presented him with a "home run."

He stunk as if he had had several drinks, and I thought he was just trying to score some booz money. I thought of a friend who could appreciate something like this and I could maybe double my money by selling it to him, so I worked the price down to $200 (bogus catalog suggested a retail price of $2600.)

While I was working the price down, he was massaging my ego and I let my guard down and allowed my ego to take over. That's exactly what happened; my ego made a sale for him; that guy didn't do anything but just offered the speakers.

I gave him my money, he gave me the speakers and I was off to my crib thinking I got a great deal.

Then I came across you guys and this on-line forum.

It's only funny that I've fallen for it because there were so many red flags that suggested to get away and turn down the offer, but as I said, it was my ego that got me, not that guy.

$200 is nothing, I am just glad that it happened with the stupid speakers and not with something else involving much larger sum of money. Anyone ever seen a movie called "Boiler Room" will know what I mean by a much larger money.

Signs to spot and get away while you still can:

1-No one will ever offer you what these guys are offering because there are ways to legitimatelly sell electronics on-line for much larger bids than what someone would offer them on the street. On the other hand, why wouldn't this guy keep this cool "toy" for himself if it was real.

2-If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

3-Don't work with people that smell like skunks (booz, weed...) I should have turned around and went my way once I smelled the guy. Thanks God I only had to deal with him once for 10 minutes of my life, but his parents, wife, girlfriend, kids...I truly feel bad for them. Anyhow I hope he gets a bar of soap and cuts back on his drinking.

4-Don't let anyone massage your ego. If you allow them to, you are headed for the trouble down the road like myself with a bogus speakers in my basement.

5-Always reinsure your investment; I only got his license plates but I doubt it that they are even real. He had OH plates on, just in case you got taken for a "ride" by the same guy.

6-Never assume nothing without triple checking. I assumed that it wasn't worthed asking this guy for his ID, and/or company's employment authorization because he wouldn't give it to me. Now looking back, if I did ask and he refused to give it to me, I would have known to walk away.

7-Use your camera phones; If you have one, use it and take the mugg shot of each one of these loosers.

8-Don't buy what you don't know and don't need;
If I knew anything about the equipment that I was buying, maybe I would have known that it was a scam. On the other hand, maybe I still wouldn't have known.

9-I noticed inprinted suggested retail price on the box once I got it off the van and took it home. Well, that needs no explaining, it was just plain stupid.

10-Don't turn away from your instincts. If your gut is telling you that something isn't right, but you are fighting it because it just sounds like a great deal; LISTEN TO YOUR GUT INSTINCT!

11-Greed! It's just normal to be a little greedy and sometimes you'll pay fot it. So don't be greedy. This is easier said than done, but consider it the next time when the "great deal" comes around.

12-Don't stress out about this, but make sure that this is a first and last time in life that someone had you like this. It's only a little money after all and most all of us can afford to take this small "fall" and learn our lesson. On the other hand, guys selling this junk have no choice but to live the looser life that they live day in and day out, year after year.

One day, once we all get a bit older, you'll be sitting in your nice home, enjoying your comfortable life style you created for yourself over years. This electronics scam will be one very, very feaded and worthless memory.

On the other hand this scam guy will be in his cold basement apartment or some kind of Salvation Army shelter center and will have nothing and no one. This is the life that he chose and that's OK.

This time you will donate couple dollars for this guy because you feel sorry for the poor looking, homeless man. You'll never know that that is the scam guy that got you years ago, and he'll never know that that is you who he had tricked once before. And it's probably better that way anyway because you'll turn around and go back to your good life feeling good about being able to donate couple bucks for the guy who needs it, and the scam man will go back to his shelter and feel excited that he "got" you this time, too.

At the end, I am not sure that it's us who got scamed

Have a good one.

Anonymous

Bucktown, Chicago. I was approached the same way as everyone else. One guy, white van, pulled up right next to me and asked me if I wanted any speakers. I asked if they are for free and he said that he can't give it to me for free but he'll take $500 for them.

I didn't won't any speakers, but was curious about what was he talking about. He actually looked like a typical blue colar sound-tech. guy. He was nurdee and excited that some hispanic kid loaded up an extra one on the back of his van and presented him with a "home run."

He stunk as if he had had several drinks, and I thought he was just trying to score some booz money. I thought of a friend who could appreciate something like this and I could maybe double my money by selling it to him, so I worked the price down to $200 (bogus catalog suggested a retail price of $2600.)

While I was working the price down, he was massaging my ego and I let my guard down and allowed my ego to take over. That's exactly what happened; my ego made a sale for him; that guy didn't do anything but just offered the speakers.

I gave him my money, he gave me the speakers and I was off to my crib thinking I got a great deal.

Then I came across you guys and this on-line forum.

It's only funny that I've fallen for it because there were so many red flags that suggested to get away and turn down the offer, but as I said, it was my ego that got me, not that guy.

$200 is nothing, I am just glad that it happened with the stupid speakers and not with something else involving much larger sum of money. Anyone ever seen a movie called "Boiler Room" will know what I mean by a much larger money.

Signs to spot and get away while you still can:

1-No one will ever offer you what these guys are offering because there are ways to legitimatelly sell electronics on-line for much larger bids than what someone would offer them on the street. On the other hand, why wouldn't this guy keep this cool "toy" for himself if it was real.

2-If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

3-Don't work with people that smell like skunks (booz, weed...) I should have turned around and went my way once I smelled the guy. Thanks God I only had to deal with him once for 10 minutes of my life, but his parents, wife, girlfriend, kids...I truly feel bad for them. Anyhow I hope he gets a bar of soap and cuts back on his drinking.

4-Don't let anyone massage your ego. If you allow them to, you are headed for the trouble down the road like myself with a bogus speakers in my basement.

5-Always reinsure your investment; I only got his license plates but I doubt it that they are even real. He had OH plates on, just in case you got taken for a "ride" by the same guy.

6-Never assume nothing without triple checking. I assumed that it wasn't worthed asking this guy for his ID, and/or company's employment authorization because he wouldn't give it to me. Now looking back, if I did ask and he refused to give it to me, I would have known to walk away.

7-Use your camera phones; If you have one, use it and take the mugg shot of each one of these loosers.

8-Don't buy what you don't know and don't need;
If I knew anything about the equipment that I was buying, maybe I would have known that it was a scam. On the other hand, maybe I still wouldn't have known.

9-I noticed inprinted suggested retail price on the box once I got it off the van and took it home. Well, that needs no explaining, it was just plain stupid.

10-Don't turn away from your instincts. If your gut is telling you that something isn't right, but you are fighting it because it just sounds like a great deal; LISTEN TO YOUR GUT INSTINCT!

11-Greed! It's just normal to be a little greedy and sometimes you'll pay for it. So don't be greedy. This is easier said than done, but consider it the next time when the "great deal" comes around.

12-Don't stress out about this, but make sure that this is a first and last time in life that someone had you like this. It's only a little money after all and most all of us can afford to take this small "fall" and learn our lesson. On the other hand, guys selling this junk have no choice but to live the looser life that they live day in and day out, year after year.

One day, once we all get a bit older, you'll be sitting in your nice home, enjoying your comfortable life style you created for yourself over years. This electronics scam will be one very, very feaded and worthless memory.

On the other hand this scam guy will be in his cold basement apartment or some kind of Salvation Army shelter center and will have nothing and no one. This is the life that he chose and that's OK.

This time you will donate couple dollars for this guy because you feel sorry for the poor looking, homeless man. You'll never know that that is the scam guy that got you years ago, and he'll never know that that is you who he had tricked once before. And it's probably better that way because you'll turn around and go back to your good life feeling good about being able to donate couple bucks for the guy who needs it, and the scam man will go back to his shelter, right after he spends your couple bucks on the cheap booz.

At the end, I am not sure that it's us who got scamed, but you all feel free to have your own perspective at this event.

Have a good one.

chi town sucka
Unregistered guest
dmanit, me too. chicago is where it happened. does anyone know a good way to get rid of this?

(I think its a given that since i got scammed i probably wouldnt be good at trying to scam someone else)

skeetness
Unregistered guest
st. louis, missouri got me :-( they said they had extras from best buy showed me a catalog had illinois license plates 1-228-0 d

Just wait and see
Unregistered guest
THE TRUTH IS... Half the ppl who have been on this site HAVENT HOOKED THEM UP AND are making a big deal out of nothing. i thought i got SCAMED just cause of a feed like this. WHEN i hooked them up they were perfect! working and every thing! Just CHILL OUT and try them, then Reply on this feed!

JohnL
Unregistered guest
Total scam. They got me this past Friday (11/4) in New Hyde Park on Long Island. Two little fa*gots in a white Ford Expedition with N.J. tags. I bought the 6000T home theater and paid $200. Plus an add'l $20 for their "beer money." I only wish I knew about this scam beforehand. I would cracked these two little bitc*es right in the mouth when they got out of their truck. Live and learn.

By the way...don't pay any attention to anyone on this string who claimes that the speakers are perfect and we're all nuts. Those posts are just people who have a vested interest in scamming more people like me. They'll have their day and I only wish I could be there when it happens.

speaker boy
Unregistered guest
i just bought some of these speakers in the UK, in kingston. TI~1250. Paid £200 in total. I made sure i hooked them up before buying, i got the van registration, the guys who sold me them's mobile number. Got warranty forms, address of distributor and a warranty number. I called the phone number to check it worked. Now it sounds a little too thought out that they would have a stolen phone/van and rip me off.

I do reckon there is something dodgy for sure, but i think that these guys just get hold of some speakers illegally, or lie about the price being as high as they say, or both. But either way, after i plugged them in (before paying for them) the sound quality was noticeable because i had my old speakers still plugged in all playing the same music.

All i can say is that it depends on the individual and how risky you're feeling and if you have the guts to try them out first, even if that might mean bringing these guys into your house.

One thing that i noticed was that there was no instruction booklet, and the casing had glue marks on it where they had taken off the protective plastc filming, but had left the film on the top of the speakers. But no dents, was in perfect condition, just needed a wipe to get the glue off.

All you have to do is move your ear from the bottom of the speaker to the top to hear how each speaker in the tower is crisp and probably worth more than the £200 i paid.

If i was to guess the genuine price, without ever knowing what a £2000 speaker actually sounds like....maybe £1000 + each?

Well I'm happy, let's just hope they don't break after a month!

Harsh on those of you that didn't get a good deal, guess after reading all those, i'd probably avoid the van man just because it sounds like its 50/50.

Anyway i hope i've helped, shame that pepole only really go on this website after buying them, where it's too late to think about it.

speaker boy
Unregistered guest
just reading some more posts.

I know you would think why would they sell them from a van, but they do cover there bases on that. Literally i quizzed them to death, these guys have a talent for bullshit.

I still think it's a bit dodgy, but all those people saying they're worth £20 are talking bollocks.

Plug them in and the quality is noticeable. Even if theater innovations isn't a real company, maybe it's becasue it obtains materials in a similarly dodgy fashion?

Either way all that counts in the end is the sound quality. And anyone who's got these working know that the sound is worth the price, just who cares about the ethics.

Just remeber that Sony etc. rip you off. Numerous times i've got companies to lower there prices considerably by just hassling, so when you pay £2000 for a speaker, remember that's also a scam but on a scale of millions of pounds.

In the end, who care's, if it has quality to back it up?

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 74
Sony was never much of a speaker company. But, their other stuff is usually very worthwhile. There's a reason why Sony is one of the brands whose products are used extensively in professional A/V fields. If you know what to get from them, what you pay for it is most certainly not a rip off. A $200 Sony receiver isn't worth it, but a $1000 Sony receiver from their ES line is (although there are highly attractive alternatives from Denon, Yamaha, Outlaw Audio, and the like).

As for white van speakers, they will likely work and may actually sound okay. But, what about refinement? That's usually what sets apart a pair of white van speakers and a pair of decent speakers.

There are many things you must consider in a loudspeaker, such as the quality and choice of the individual components and how they are implemented: everything from the magnets on the drivers down to what's used to make the enclosure. Those factors in loudspeaker design take time and care to get right. It's also certainly something that requires expertise and experience to make it all work like it should.

Anybody can take particle board and speaker parts and make something that looks as nice as a Bentley. It's much harder to make something that can sound just as nice as well. There are some speakers where the function was so important in the design that they may sound like "Rolls-Royce" caliber, but they'll look as nice as Ford.

That's why you should steer clear of white van speakers and get what you want from a reputable **speaker** manufacturer that's sold from a reputable store. Either that, or score some really high end speakers in good shape from the used market for less money (just be wary of people who bought white van speakers and are trying to unload them there).

It's always best to get what you feel sounds best. But, you also have to know and understand what it is that you are considering. - Reinhart

Jeffr0
Unregistered guest
Why were the posts discussing their activity in Leicester deleted? Isn't that stupid? Do you want these people to get away with this even more so?

ARG.

HighSpeedDeth
Unregistered guest
2 guys, white van, Long Island:
I was on my lunch break, and 2 young guys in a white van approached me in a parking lot in Garden City, NY (Long Island), so I called my office and had someone from my office search the internet and Googled "theater innovations TI-6000T". This thread came right up, I didn't buy. Same story as all of the above. He started at $500. They looked nice, he even offered to set them up for demo. They probably work fine, just not the high end that you would expect after hearing the deal. Thanks for the warning..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us