Audio out of sync with VIdeo sometimes

Username: Davekro

Post Number: 2
Since adding a new Mitsubishi 1080P DLP TV (WD-73734) to my older 5.1 Sony A/V Recvr surround system, watching TV (Comcast cable w/ no box), sometimes the voices do not sync with the lips. I read somewhere of a lag in audio??

My Cable TV coax from wall/source goes to TV.
'Digital Audio Out' from HDTV to 'Digital Audio In' on A/V Rcvr.

Is audio being delayed by processing to 5.1 thru my A/V Rcvr? Any way to work around this. Weird that does not (seem to) happen all the time.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
PS. I can't afford to upgrade A/V Rcvr, but if a new one had HDMI, would THAT change this phenomenon?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14747
Unfortunately there is no work around. Unless your Sony has a delay feature, then you might want to look at newer receivers. If you can move on from Sony, do so.

Username: Jrbay

Livonia (Detroit area), Michigan USA

Post Number: 1
The cheapest solution may be to get a cable box.

Post Number: 4
Berny,
So the audio arrives (thru TV, to A/VR, to spkrs) 'faster' than video signal connected directly to TV, and it needs to be delayed?
My Sony has 'reverberation' timing adjustments, but no simple delay feature.

Dave

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3
Dave,

Is there a difference between the audio of the Sony Receiver as compared to the TV's speakers?

Post Number: 5
Jim,
Extreme difference.

TV has (2) 10W, 2.25" x 5.5" speakers (lousy sound).

A/VR: 5.1 Dolby Surround with Klipsch Cornwall Mains (16" woofers), good Center, good in wall mounted Rears, 2 powered subs, all tuned to listening position.

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4
Sorry, I need to be more specific, I mean with the delay. What I suspect is that the delay is caused by the TV. If there is a difference between the TIMING between the TV speakers and the Receiver, especially (or only) while viewing a non HD source, where the Receiver is behind the TV, the delay is caused by upconverting the audio to digital. This could be solved by taking the analog signal out of the TV but would be a pain to switch when you switched to a channel in HD. A cable box would be the solution with the video going to the TV and the audio going to your receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 94
My Onkyo has an a/v sync adjustment for each input that allows you to see the video from the source while tuning it.

Post Number: 6
Actually, I have not noticed the 'voice out of sync' lately (strange).

One thing I have never been clear on. I run only audio into my A/VR and video directly to TV from sources. Is this a problem, and why?

Luckily, my new TV's remote, has the ability to 'switch inputs' on the A/VR when I switch inputs on the TV from TV, DVD, VCR.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
I have never had a problem doing it that way. In fact I think I have noticed this problem more when using the switching thru the AVR.

Post Number: 7
"noticed this problem when using the switching thru the AVR"
Jeff,
Your above statement refers to the 'video' switching, right? I assume audio switching 'has no choice' but to go thru A/VR to get your 5.1 (or whatever) surround.

Thanks, Dave

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Yes, you asked about using the video directly from the source to the TV. I was just saying that I have had better results that way. The only time i have ever seen this problem is when using the avr to switch sound and video. Anyone, correct me if I am wrong but I think this may have something to do with the extra processing the AVR has to do before the signal is delivered to the TV. Again, this is not a problem for me because my Onkyo TX-SR605 has an adjustment to compensate for this. It is called a/v sync and can be adjusted for each input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us