Help me spend $500 quickly

Anonymous
I recently won a $500 dollar gift certificate for Amazon.com. This certificate expires this week so I need some advice quick. I thought I would use this "free money" to start out a nice home theater setup. So, my first dilemma was which components to buy. (I ruled out HTIB setups) I will be moving to a new home within the year, so I thought I would wait and buy a nice HDTV then. In addition, shipping cost is high and I will be getting a Best Buy gift certificate in six months that I can put towards the TV setup. In the meantime, I am stuck with an old Cable input only TV. Next, I considered speakers. I currently have a nice set of Advent stereo speakers and a set of bookshelf speakers I thought I could use for left and right rears. I want to wait to get my "real" speakers in the new house. (To rule out placement, install, and general sound difference issues) So now, I am thinking of getting a nice AV receiver and possibly a DVD player. I did some research and decided the Yamaha HTR-5560 might be for me. Now come the questions... Can I hook up my bookshelfs (Koss M80plus) as left and right rears at 4 ohm and the Advents as left and right fronts at 8ohms with this receiver? This will certainly beat my current TV speaker only setup, until I get "real" speakers. If I get the DVD player and the Yamaha, will I still need a RF modulator to watch DVD's until I score the new TV? Should I get a cheaper receiver, since it may be a year or more before I can get components that realize its full potential? Finally, any DVD recommendations for my situation (TV purchase might be a year out) Thanks in advance for your opinion and advise.

Anonymous
buy the best one you can get for under the $500.00 like the panasonic ht800v which has dvd/vcr combo receiver and speakers and use the rest for some awsome dvd's to go with it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us